Cut down asset builder

Trying to introduce my grandkids to Unity game design, but their PC spec is too low. Is there a cut down prog which just allows nothing more than the asset building to get them started at least?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Is Unity running smoothly on your grandkids’ PC? Test that first, please. If it is not running smoothly, developing games will not be fun. To test Unity, download one of the course projects from GitHub via the link in the Resources of the last lecture of a section. I don’t know in which course you are enrolled but for the Unity 3D course, I’d suggest to test Zombie Runner and Argon Assault, and for the Unity 3D course Glitch Garden and Tile Vania. If these games are running smoothly in Unity, there is nothing to worry about.

If Unity is a bit laggy, you could set a low quality in Unity and disable “Auto-generate Lighting”. You can find information on this on the internet, maybe also an instruction of what else you could do to make Unity run on slower PCs.

If nothing helps, you could try to work with an outdated version of Unity, maybe Unity 4. However, we do not support that version, so it might be that you’ll have to look for alternative solutions on the internet if something does not work as seen in the videos. Many concepts are still the same, though, so learning the basics of game development with Unity 4 is certainly not a waste of time.

Please feel free to ask our community of students for further advice over on our Discord chat server.

Hopefully, this helped a bit. :slight_smile:

See also:

Hello Nina

The problem is simply with the size of the hard drive. It’s only got about 60Gb, so Unity will not fit on it.

I just wondered if anyone knew of a smaller app which does nothing more than create objects which could be imported in Unity.

I will try the chat server.

Cheers

Steve

Unity needs around 13 GB of free space, and Visual Studio 2 GB. Instead of VS, you could use VS Code, which needs 200 MB.

If there is not enough free space, for what do you need another software to import something into Unity if you cannot install Unity anyway?

Using another game engine than Unity could be a solution. Have you already tested Godot?

Regarding the asset creation, you could test Blender. If you don’t render anything but create a mesh only, that could work.

By the way, maybe I’m misunderstanding your problem. In which course are you?

Hi Nina

You are right.

I have had a look at Blender, which might be the solution. It actually exports rendered objects really well to Unity in *.dae format.

The reason I was worrying was that was sure that while installing Unity 2017 for the beginners course I thought I saw the installation wizard flashing up something about over 100 Gb of space being required(?)

I have an old laptop lying around here. I will install Unity on that one and watch more carefully while the wizard installs. :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms