Cube Racer: My First Game

Just uploaded my new game, be awesome to get some feedback:

============================================================================
This is built for PC so some things will not work namely the quit and save function.

Please give me feedback and yes I do know about the NaN error if it happens to you just press “r”.

2 Likes

Interesting game! Have you thought about adding a high Score list?

1 Like

What would the player be scored on?

1 Like

The player could be scored on distance traveled, number of levels completed or whatever you are counting on screen currently.

Also, I wanted to tell that I got this strange error message while playing your game. It mentioned an Audio timer which is weird because I didn’t hear any audio in your game. Here is the screenshot of the error messages:

the screenshot with the console window I opened myself to check the details of the error so that I could give them to you. I don’t know how experienced you are with error messages but I thought I would give feedback on it regardless.

2 Likes

Hi,

Out of interest, was this based on a tutorial you saw somewhere? The only reason I ask is that it is almost exactly the same as another student who posted a game here recently called Red vs Black. In that one you controlled a sphere, along the path, and cubes fell from above and landed on the path which you had to dodge.

Very similar concept - just wondered if it was based on a tutorial somewhere as you may have both seen the same thing :slight_smile:

Regarding score…

• collectables - total number of things collected?
  • special drops - something collectable which falls from the sky and diverts the players attention, they want it for the score boost, but have to be careful not to crash whilst trying to get it
  • distance travelled - how far along the path did they get, perhaps measured in time, or Unity units?
  • bonus points for tricks, perhaps jumping over an obstacle, or taking a more difficult route when an easier one was available
  • bonus points for cubes remaining at the end of each level
  • score multipliers, x2, x4, x8, awarded sequentially as they collect them, multiply total level score by multiplier

Just some ideas, typically these kind of features would be born out of your story that you game is trying to tell.

I like the idea of collectables. The tutorial I used was from Brackeys : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48LtUkZRjU&list=PLPV2KyIb3jR53Jce9hP7G5xC4O9AgnOuL

1 Like

Thanks for drawing my attention to the error. it is weird because I did not put any audio in my game also I have no experience reading debug screens.

1 Like

I like the idea of collectables.

You tend to see them a lot in those endless-runner style games, which yours is a flavour of also. You could opt for simple, all the same collectables, like coins (although something which “fits” with your game theme would be better), or have a variety of them that do different things. Some could be power-ups/down (increased speed / slow motion / jump ability and so on).

The tutorial I used was from Brackeys

Thanks for the clarification and the URL, it was merely coincidence that you posted your game not that long after I’d seen another so similar, most likely they had been following the same tutorial. You can create a really challenging and fun game from this, often the simplistic nature of it, cubes / spheres / limited colours etc can really add to the overall feel.

also I have no experience reading debug screens

Debugging WebGL is a little less straight forward than locally via Unity, it can be done, to a degree, but its best to thoroughly playtest and check locally where you can catch the errors.

I cobbled something together ages ago for people who ran into issues after publishing a WebGL build, it may be useful, here’s the link just in case;

I look forward to seeing any further update you make to this game, especially if you add some collectables! :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms