Crossplatform Input

Simple question whats the advantage of using this over just the UnityEngine class Input ? I have gone through all the movement input for the player, including jump, before this lecture with the standard input system as a challenge, so i was wondering to why Rick used the cross one? :thinking:
Also i have seen by searching on web that this package has been kinda deprecated due to the introduction of the new input system (which i am very curious about)

2 Likes

Hey!
Yeah I was thinking of the same thing, I found this video quite useful: Why You Should Use The New Input System In Unity + Overview - YouTube I did have a look through the Unity Assets for movement controls which use the new input system, and played around with this one: Easy Character Movement 2 | Physics | Unity Asset Store however it doesnt work very well with Tilemaps, but the demo and code comments was really useful.

I think I will work with the new input system as it seems most performant and flexibile, but would like to know others views.

1 Like

Hey!
i documented a bit in these days and i discovered that the new input system is indeed a really good method to setup controls in a huge variety of possibilities and platforms, this is the reason why Crossplatform has been deprecated.

But i find the “basic” Input system still really useful and simple to understand so i will stick with it for now, i find that the majority of inputs also works automatically even with the joypad so i don’t really know what the crossplatform package would be useful to as for now :thinking:

Has your question been answered, @Shinos?

See also:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms