Creature Sculpt Progress

While I enjoy watching the dragon be sculpted, I took this opportunity to use these techniques and apply it to something I made from scratch. I am trying to follow through the professional workflow as much as I can. This entails sculpting something organic I drew rather than something that already exists (which I haven’t done before). I’d like to share some images that show the stages of my sculpt.

My main influences for this sketch was a cross between a metroid (metroid franchise), shoebill stork (stature), a graboid (from the Tremors franchise), and a vulture (for grotesqueness) .

Working from the single sketch, I blocked out the body and adjusted the mass accordingly.

However, I ran into a problem. The subdivision modifier made the face look more happy like a smiling toucan (I am looking for more gross than cute). Pushing ever more so in the opposite direction of appearance, the eyes made the character not too dissimilar to a Spore character (an earlier 2000s pc game). So I decided to change the face a bit.

I made the neck a little longer and turned its beak upside-down. This provided a more dreadful look than a happy one. I also placed folds of skin in various places by adding cubes with subdivisions (still separate objects).

After about a couple weeks of familiarizing myself with the application of sculpting techniques, I finally became comfortable with using the various brushes blender had to offer.

My final vision for this character from the beginning was to have it look more like a vulture. In the future, I may add some feathers, not to cover the the entire body, but sparingly distributed.

This process took me longer than it probably should have. It’s very warm where I live right now thus I have a hard time focusing on my work. However, it’s enjoyable. I look forward to adding features such as dust and dirt to this character after the baking process.

10 Likes

reminds me of Tremors, looks like a new breed of graboids

3 Likes

Cudos to you for drawing something yourself and sculpting it. Sometimes making a real life object can be better practice, because people have references to judge your model by and give you feedback. But your vulture-dinosaur creature is very nice. I like the skin folds and all the other details you added. You did a great job familiarizing yourself with the different tools. Maybe add some eyes in there too, to make it look more alive.

3 Likes

Amazing work. I like your drawing. Its soo cool. Details on the model are great. Looks like he has been working out a lot :grin:. I like the way you made the legs very much. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Have fun.

2 Likes

Great creature!
Nicely made.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms