Creating Unreal C++ Projects for VSCode & VS2019

Hey people!

I have added an additional lecture to section 1 which covers creating Unreal C++ projects with your preferred IDE.

By default, Unreal expects you to have VS2017 installed (if running windows) or Xcode (if running macOS).

In this video I show you how to get around this issue so you can work with VS Code or VS2019 :nerd_face:

At least with 4.22.1, if you only have vs 2019 installed it should automatically use it. That’s what it did with me.

(I didn’t watch the video so maybe its covered). But, just pointing that out.

1 Like

Hi Gavin,

I am having a problem with UE after creating the blueprint project moving to CPP. I received the following error message. I am using VSC and VS 2019 tools. Please help…

The project could not be compiled. Would you like to open it in Visual Studio?

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.22/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project=“C:/Users/caleb/OneDrive/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject2/MyProject2.uproject” -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Creating makefile for MyProject2Editor (no existing makefile)
@progress push 5%
Parsing headers for MyProject2Editor
Running UnrealHeaderTool “C:\Users\caleb\OneDrive\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject2\MyProject2.uproject” “C:\Users\caleb\OneDrive\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject2\Intermediate\Build\Win64\MyProject2Editor\Development\MyProject2Editor.uhtmanifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
Reflection code generated for MyProject2Editor in 5.6828851 seconds
@progress pop
Using Visual Studio 2019 14.21.27702 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.21.27702) and Windows 10.0.17763.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
Building 9 actions with 12 processes…
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 0%
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 11%
[1/9] Default.rc2
@progress ‘Compiling C++ source code…’ 22%
[2/9] ERROR: Unable to open C:\Users\caleb\OneDrive\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject2\Intermediate\Build\Win64\MyProject2Editor\Development\Engine\SharedPCH.Engine.h.txt.tmp for output

Adding to what QueueButton said, I only have VS 2019 in my laptop and Unreal works fine for me, without having had to change any settings

Privacy & Terms