Creating the Door Surround 2

When I try to follow along, and do everything exactly as the video it never works for me.

I can never get it to do what I want. The knife doesn’t work, loop cut tool, bevels etc.

Like there’s always extra geometry or vertices but even doing the merge and whatever the other thing was that I forget, it’s always the same result.

1 Like

Well to start with you are not doing it like the video, in so far as that archway does not rotate gradually through 90 degrees so the open ends join on the mirror line. So it gives the ‘impression’ you are not paying attention to exactly what is being shown. Put it this way, no other student out of many thousands, has ever made an arch like that and shown it here asking for help, so it is reasonable to assume the problem is in your following the lectures.

I suggest watching each lecture through once, then watching, pausing frequently as you then do the thing shown bit by bit. Do not try to rush through. Remake the arch as it is in the lecture.

1 Like

I’m following step by step the video. I watch, and rewatch, rewind, slow it down.

So far from you all I’ve ever gotten is you’re doing it wrong, you forgot this and that.

If I can’t do it following step by step, it’s useless to me.

Please avoid commenting on further posts, as I won’t be making any more.

Thank you.

1 Like

What kind of Blender version are you using?
We can’t see your version number in Blender, only 4.0 in the title.

The reason for asking this is a strange icon in your edit menu.
I have never seen that!

• Are you using Add-ons by any chance?

Also, YOU are MIRRORING on the X and Y-as !
Creating this very interesting arc, but it is not intended like so. Did you apply scale? Where lies the orange center point?

We are all on a learning curve here.
Some people are better at this, others need more time.
Blender is a very complicated piece of software.
It’s not only pushing buttons because the teacher is telling you to do so.
But also where it related to in Blender object mesh and data.

For example if you use the mirror- modifier you can say it mirrors, just like that.
But what you need to understand is that it will use the object center point (orange dot) as a the center. And that this center is just a data piece which can be changed (or) according to other Blender options in panels etc.

I hope this will help you. Try to learn see the relations of your actions in relation to what’s happening in Blender.

A general note: we (I, NP5) see a lot of students. We see and recognize specific student types. That’s why we give different tips, advice to those who need help. It’s the reason I spend much time on answering your questions. I understand your questions and frustrations (I had them too …). So try to learn, understand, what these helpful answers are telling you.

Be patient, answering your questions takes some time.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms