Creating multiple weapon types - lots of nested prefab conversation

This video could probably be titled “nested prefabs” because we spend a bunch of time making sure that our prefabbing is all correctly set up. Any questions or anything to share?

When I use the “revert” option, it deletes the data, for example, if I use revert on the weapon’s camera, it goes from having a camera assigned to not having any.

So the important thing here is to figure out where the “source of truth” is. If you are working from a prefab that has been modified and you revert then it will return to whatever the pre-modification was. So perhaps your weapon’s camera is on a different prefab or instance to where you think it should be.

1 Like

One of the reasons why I´m loving this course is because I’m doing things I wouldn’t normally do, like a Low Poly Futuristic Shotgun, I never really liked FPS but apparently I somewhat good at making weapons which is ironically hilarious.

2 Likes

Looks really cool, very futuristic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to share my weapon prefabs for my 3 types of weapons.
(I also upgrade the project to the Universal Rendering Pipeline for better looks!)

1 Like

Hi, I have a question. I’m using a shotgun instance and when I make any changes to it in the Hierarchy (for example to the scale of the transform), I can’t seem to be able to apply the changes to the prefab. The “Overrides” button simply isn’t there. I would like to know why…

Please see the attached image.

I don’t think you can override changes to a prefab if it’s a child of another prefab (“nested”). Apply changes directly to the shotgun in prefab mode or temporarily orphan it to save changes then put it back.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! “Orphaning” it worked well.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms