Creating Gaming Texture & Artwork Course

Noting the GIMP class that is listed at the end of the forum may make this a mute idea. Having said that, most courses seems like the emphasis is based on modeling with very little emphasis on the creation and/or composting to make make your games unique. I would like to see a texture based course from an art perspective that teaches you how to make your own textures from scratch…not just taking a premade texture and applying it to a given model…but one you create from the ground up either using GIMP or Photoshop. While I have had a bit of a taste of teaching myself to do these things, I would like to see a more formalized course how these are created via the gaming industry.

Some things I have encountered over the course of time for consideration in such a course and I am sure there are many others that can be added.

1. Basics of how to install & set-up & use GIMP or Photoshop (PC, Mac, Linux)
  2. Basic principles of Art (perspective, shadowing, color, lightening)
  3. What is the best size for use with what gaming Engine? How will the texture looked applied? Are they usable for more than one specific object?
  4. GIMP & Photoshop tools, modes, and layering techniques
  5. Various methods of using filters, brushes, patterns, etc. plus how to create your own.
  6. Creating Textures from ground zero
  7. Creating good vertical/horizontal tilable seamless textures.
  8. Compositing 2 or more textures to create a completely new texture .
  9. How to achieve and maintain continuity in texture sets.
  10. Using pre-made textures or photos. How do you know if they will work for you?
  11. Understanding TOS or Eula when purchasing or using textures/photos from other sources.
  12. How and where to sell textures and/or texture packs.
  13. Using your texture with Cycles to enhance your creations.
  14. Creating diffuse, bump, normal, AO, and other maps from the textures you create.
  15. Using elements of a photo or texture. How do you extract them and merge them well with other elements?
  16. How to create a texture element and maintain the transparent background.
  17. Recoloring texture backgrounds or elements.
  18. Tips & Tricks how to make your 2D texture look more 3D.
4 Likes

Privacy & Terms