Creating a Pillar - Challenge

I’m trying to create the 2 new “different” pillars. I tried to start a new one from a cube, but I’m not able to move it, it just moves the XYZ thing.

So instead I duplicated the pillar a couple of times, but you can’t move it by grabbing it, only the top half will move up, even on the newly created pillars.

The only way I can get them to move is by typing in the coordinates after pressing N for that window.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

I suspect you have origins only ticked accidentally.
It should NOT be ticked as it is in this image.

3 Likes

Also another tip:

• in the mirror panel, select Clipping on. It will keep the mirrored objects together.
  • HotKeys can be dangerous! Some actions performed by a hotkey will not reflect in a visual sign (feedback). But instead, changing the behavior of Blender tool(s).
    The e for extrude is very famous in this. Because when pressing e it extrudes immediately and Blender is waiting for you to move it. If you don’t do that (pressing ESC key), it has still extruded the selected parts. Creating duplication and you need to ‘merge by distance’.
  • If you open the INFO panel you can see the developer’s info, but also which actions Blender performed (accidental hotkeys …?).
  • Do not experiment by clicking random options, to try things out. When you forget to set them back, you encounter problems.
2 Likes

Just like @NP5 said it is adjusting the origin. I just want to add that the hotkey is ctrl+period, which is easy to hit by accident. I know, that’s how I learn the hotkey. I kind of disagree with

I think experimenting, making mistakes, even the frustration of trying to fix it all help in learning the program. Plus That’s what this community is all about. Helping out and encouraging each other. Now above all else “HAVE FUN”.

2 Likes

Ah I did not know that shortcut. Next to never use the function anyway lol. But that there is one makes it easier to understand how it can be on by accident.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms