Creating 2D games using Unreal Engine 4 for PC and Mobile

I tried searching for a course on this, and while there are many YouTube videos on this, they are out of date or unstructured. I know that UE4 isn’t viewed as the “Mobile friendly” engine. But with the ability to optimise the game using UE4’s profiller I think a course like this would be fantastic in giving developers a golden opportunity to learn the 2D system UE4 has, along with optimising it for mobile. Highlighting the differences between PC and mobile along with designing around touch input would be the icing on the cake.

Course could be structure around making a 2D platformer on PC then making the same or similar game on mobile to really highlight the differences.

How to handle Windows 10 xbox, steam, android and iOS platform specific logging in and saving as per the respective platform. I mention both windows 10 xbox and steam as someone may want to make a more casual game and aim it at PC but those who typically would play solitaire or minesweeper and dont have a steam account.

5 Likes

I’d like to second this. I’ve tried a lot of approaches with UE4 for 2D game development for PC, but all the materials I’ve used have all been very 3D focused, and I have no idea about best practices when approaching a purely 2D development. It seems a lot of the courses out there deal with things that have no use in a purely 2D game, and skip other things that would be incredibly useful. Was thinking about just hopping over to Unity instead given the wealth of knowledge on that end.

2 Likes

I was actually looking for a course to taking advantage of Unreal engine for making games on the mobile platform. This would be a great idea.

I would want to learn how to use 2D pixle sprites, so people who are not very good at making graphics can do at least slightly better

I actually fought through all the trial and error of figuring it out myself and made a fully functional 2D/3D game in UE 4.10. I did it completely in blueprints and made the rookie mistake of building the menu last. This caused a bug I couldn’t figure out causing me to get annoyed enough to abort the project. So needless to say it is plausible to make simple games as well as AAA style stuff with UE4. I would love to see more on Unreals 2D capability even if they don’t seem to want to develop it.

Privacy & Terms