Cracked Earth Test Renders

It’s interesting to see how the different shapes react to the some scaling for the texture. Most of them come out pretty normal from this angle, but the torus is stretched.

CrackedEarthTest

Adding some displacement geometry to the pillar:

CrackedEarthPillarpng

Gets pretty weird depending on shapes and scales:
CrackedEarthWierdom

Added a height and displacement map at once in place of the normal:

HeightPlusDisplacement

I attached my texture to the unproperly unwrapped bridge:
FunkyRockBridge

(probably wouldn’t be using just one material in an actual run and would spend more time finding a more even unwrap – though with the complexity of the shape it doesn’t look as odd as a simple cube would)

I made it partially the way through my UV unwrap. If anything I’ve learned a couple lessons from the experience and gained a bit of maneuverability in the editor. (Next time I think I’ll try to pay more attention to the dimensions of the various sides and aim for a scaling that reduces edges where the texture will jump).
PartiallyAlignedUV

PartiallyAligned
Some Wood Textures on the bridge:

WoodBridgeEvee WoodBridgeCycles

I ended up losing my normal map – I think I didn’t save. Blender seems to have this tendency to close down when I try to undo things sometimes. I’m wondering if there is some sort of hotkey, or its just the luck of the draw.

Here I’ve added a metallic, bronzish material for the railing:

newmaterial

Now the single baked version:

BridgeSIngleBaked

2 Likes

Nice!
Is this using that Cycles experimental feature of the subsurf Adaptive?

Not even. This is just Eevee. Now you’ve got me curious!

Ah!

So just a displacement modifier or it is plugged to the Output Material node?

About the feature…look here, is pretty old feature actually. But I just discovered these days… Very interesting

It kinda optimizes the render to the position of the camera the nearer the camera is the more subdivided the mesh gets, the farther less subdivisions. So it gets really detailed upclose while stuff medium to far are less detailed.
But you wouldn’t be able to see the details anyway because of the distance…
So it helps with render time in Cycles too…

2 Likes

I actually did both – the displacement map on the displacement modifier and the height map on the through a bump to the output node. I was just curious to see what would happen – though the endgame is probably to avoid using the subdivisions and displacement as much as possible except on near term objects.

Thanks for the video. It sounds like a cool feature, that would help mitigate some of the problems with using subdivision surfaces for detail for a scene.

I hadn’t played around much with the experimental feature set so I wasn’t sure where to work:

(pretty good explanation for accessing in cycles)

1 Like

Yep that’s it.
It’s exclusive to cycles

1 Like

Privacy & Terms