Course Request: Using game design docs for big projects

I’d love a course that focuses specifically on design, maybe with some emphasis on creating and continually updating a game design doc as you go along. I am thinking this could be an advanced course which assumes a lot of prior knowledge - students should have at least taken an intermediate course.

The focus can be more on how to plan, take small bites, and not get overwhelmed by an ambitious project. Along the way of the course the instructor will take on a big project and show how they use their design doc to guide their work. At the end of it, the course should only have you complete a small fraction of what’s in the design doc leaving it up to the student to complete the rest in whatever way they desire.

Interesting idea,

Also, besides the Game design, I am thinking while you do your game design document, you build a series of advanced game such as:

Big open world RPG, with dungeons and such
Match 3 games
Shooting games
Any other game that takes a big amount of planning, just to make this course more interesting.

Also, if you happen to have the RPG course, just the first one, they have a segment on game design, about 5 videos that walk you though on how to design your games, I also believe they do more later down the course.

That being said, I think your idea is a good one, don’t know if its enough, unless paired with advanced games, because GDTV already has partially what you are looking for in the rpg series

Privacy & Terms