Course is already outdated

I was using UE5.01 but as of this writing I am using UE5.0.2

I was struggling to get Lumin to behave so I re-watched the episode titled “Light types”. First I noticed they say that on the SkySphere there is a “Directional Light Actor” field but when I search for it using the search bar it doesn’t come up. I can find no way to link my sun to my sky. :frowning:

Okay, moving on…
So they get to the SkySphere having a property called “Refresh material”. Again, I search for it and it doesn’t appear. :man_shrugging:

My sky is making my characters super bright and when I change the sun’s (only light in the scene) intensity it adjusts the light strength on my terrain from pitch black to super bright but my characters look like they are standing in front of the sun no matter what I do. I am pulling my hair out of my head but that is not helping my scene any either. :sweat_smile:

What am I missing?

I don’t have the section project on this machine, but are you sure you’re looking at BP_Sky_Sphere and not SM_SkySphere?

The two properties you mentioned are right at the top of BP_Sky_Sphere’s details panel:

That is exactly the problem, yes!

I used a default scene and this scene already contains all the light stuff I have to place in the scene so I thought “Nice!”
Screenshot 2022-05-28 095225

So what is the difference between SM_SkySphere and BP_Sky_Sphere? Should I use both together or should the BP one be used in place of the other one? If Epic places this Actor in the scene by default, surely it can’t be completely useless, can it? I am so confused by this…

Thanks for spotting my issue so spot on, thought! I knew I was doing something wrong, just no idea what

Hey there, I’m on Unreal v5.0.2 and followed the tutorial to the letter from a fresh install and am not sure where you got the “SM_SkySphere”.

The BP_Sky_Sphere is a blueprint default provided by the engine that you can access once enabled in the Content Drawer settings.

My guess is that you have assets from outside the tutorial which includes the “SM_SkySphere” with it.

A wild guess: maybe the BP_skysphere is replaced by “SM_skysphere (mesh) + SkyAtmosphere (volume)”.

I believe the sky atmosphere does most of what the blueprint does. I’m not sure what adding the static mesh does though.

Those of you have lighting issues in 5.0 and up there are a few ways to handle it.

For light bleeding through enable Shadow Two Sided on the details pane of the static mesh. Under lighting and advanced.

You might also have to create static mesh that sit on top to create a blocking volume since this asset pack does have a lot of light bleeds through.

Another way of creating the lights is going to Window → Env Light Mixer.

Then add the lights from the panel there. Add Directional Light, the Sky Light, SkyAtmosphere, Volumetric Cloud, and Exponetial Height Fog.

Make sure your lights are set to movable for dynamic lighting.

The directional light should have the Atmosphere Sun Light check box selected.

Enable real time capture on the Skylight. Use Ctrl + Alt + L while the sky light is selected to adjust the sun position.

You don’t need to use a skysphere BP anymore, but it’s still there for other uses.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms