Course Idea: UGC

Hey all. I’m new to these forums but have been following along on the courses for a while now and really enjoyed them.

Ben diverted me here from Twitter after I asked about User Generated Content elements as a possible course topic.

I know it’s a deep subject and maybe fairly difficult to teach but personally I think it would be great to have a course project that involves some basic UGC concepts and building blocks. And so many games these days have UGC and/or Cosmetic customization by users to some degree at their core. I’m not thinking anything too crazy obviously but techniques that could enable us to develop and augment further.

Im just going to brain dump things I was thinking of just as rough ideas but really UGC is such a broad area with almost limitless possibilities so if anyone thinks of better examples than me feel free to say…

• some basic cosmetic swapping so users could create different combinations of Say clothing items on an avatar, or decals and features on a vehicle, or haircuts or whatever… just an introduction to how to establish cosmetics and allow users to swap them out

• maybe some real basic 2d map but props and building blocks that a user can move around on a grid… could work for a simple platform game type mechanic, puzzle, basic racing game (thinking snes micromachine kind of level of detail), something like that. Users could drag the various props from a toolkit onto a grid and then save and have a playable map

• could even be as simple as letting users change the colour of something with an RGB colour picker and saving to their profile or avatar

• if you were going deep with it I suppose you could get into some kind of basic marketplace concept that feeds a users inventory or customization options

• really deep would be creating and crafting with items to some level?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms