Course Idea: Godot 3D RPG

As the popularity and interest in Godot continue to grow, it would be fantastic to see the development of a 3D RPG course, similar to the Unity 3D RPG course series. This course (or courses) should encompass fundamental topics such as movement and combat, while also delving into advanced areas like inventory management, quest systems, and exploring additional features like companion AIs and crafting professions.

Been a while since you posted, welcome back!

While I think this could be a good idea, I donā€™t think there is a big enough demand for a gdtv unity type RPG game tutorial. I think a smaller RPG like the newer unity RPG course would be a good fit for Godot. Not sure a 4 part tutorial for Godot would be something of thought. Regardless of that though, I love the idea of a Godot RPG, just not of the scale of the 4 part unity one. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Stay tuned! But donā€™t hold your breath. :sweat_smile:

Unity WIP:

Godot WIP:

2 Likes

Nice, is this r&d or a new godot course being worked on?

Thanks! So far itā€™s just a personal project. But if thereā€™s interest, Iā€™d be happy to support the creation of a course.

The Unity debacle last year happened just as I was about to finish the Core/Combat course, and Iā€™d be more motivated to continue the whole thing in Godot. Iā€™ve solved a lot of problems already, a few more are on the horizon. Some R&D is definitely involved. But Iā€™m taking notes of what Iā€™m doing, and if I succeed for the Core part, I expect to reapply the steps more cleanly and expand the port to the whole RPG (+ some of @Brian_Trotterā€™s extensions? :grinning: )ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not had time to really explore Godot (I checked it out a number of years ago, at a time when I was deciding whether to devote my energy behind Unity, Unreal, or Godot, and for obvious reasons (my getting the TA position), I went full time to Unity). Iā€™d be interested in seeing what you come up with.

2 Likes

Thanks, Brian! Obviously, having you as a TA is a huge win for the community.

I am positive Iā€™ll have something more vivid than a drip-feed of screenshots to share soon. :grinning:

3 Likes

Update: A few bugs have eaten too much of my limited gamedev time lately. But I am close to calling the port of the Core Combat features ā€œdoneā€, see here:

4 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

Thanks, Brian! :blush:

We got these all covered in Unity :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

if you still have a Unity port, you might consider having a look at Brianā€™s third person merging topic. Itā€™s an amazing topic! (and, word of advice, double your Rangerā€™s animation speed :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Hey @Bahaa, thanks for checking out my video and your thoughtful responses!

Obviously, that was the starting point - having something in Unity and wanting it in Godot.

I know, Brian has done a lot of amazing work going forward from the ā€œbaseā€ RPG. I still would like to have a Godot counterpart to the plain 4 course series before going into extensions.
As a ā€œside productā€, I hope to collect a set of best practices or patterns to repeat the process on a different state or implementation of the original project, thus also extensions.

Haha, yes, animations. One of the more cumbersome conversion topics where I had to deviate a bit more from the original. Godot offers a ton of features there, but the ones the community seems to prefer are not the ones that would be close to our Unity original. I know transitions, blending and individual animation timing need tweaking. But I might want to get the original animations to work first instead of the replacements from Mixamo.

1 Like
  1. Keep me in the loop. Iā€™m interested in this on the long run
  1. Donā€™t you have a ā€˜speedā€™ variable that you can just multiply over there and call it a dayā€¦?!

Anyway, Iā€™m off to continue investigating my mathematical nightmare. For god knows what reason, the math isnā€™t mathing up for me tonightā€¦

1 Like

If you are talking about movement speed: funny story - I recorded with Godotā€™s built in ā€œMovie Makerā€, and if you choose a low frame rate to record, the game runs quite fast, but the movie has the intended real speed. So the speed problem may be just me clicking too slowly. :zzz:

If itā€™s about animation speed: every animation can be temporally scaled on its own, of course (maybe a task for my next aesthetics run), and the component doing the playback can also apply a speed scale.

Thanks again for being interested and the advice, and good luck with your math problem!

1 Like

thank you, and yes this is what I was talking about:

Itā€™s what I did for my ranger animations anyway

1 Like

Privacy & Terms