Course Idea: Digital Card Games

I saw there might have been a Tabletop course at one point in 2017, but I no longer see it. I am currently looking for a way to learn how to make a game using card mechanics. There are many popular card-based games out there, but your Udemy courses are my favorite format compared to the disjointed YouTube tutorials. I would love to see a course on this subject. Example card systems I like are MTG and Frosthaven. I develop in Unity so that is where I would prefer to learn it.

Some content ideas:

Making card UI,
Card data scripts,
Deck Building,
Shuffling with animations,
Reshuffle,
Discard piles with animations,
Discard X cards
Draw card with animations,
Draw X- Pick Y cards,
multiple card types (e.i. Event, Encounter, Equipment, Ability),
multiple table areas for card placement,
card drag and drop,
card collecting and deck building scenes and mechanics,
multiple deck storage.

It could be a roguelike, rpg, multiplayer, single player, or whatever genre floats your boat for the game itself. I personally would like to see a single player game with multiple decks that grow when you discover something or beat a challenge like Gloomhaven or Frosthaven (Obviously a lot simpler than them).

Appreciate the consideration for this idea. Thanks for all the great courses so far!

The course you mentioned was removed; unfortunately, they didn’t revamp it. If you bought it you can still access it.

What you described reminded me of Dr. Penny de Byl’s courses that tackle animation, modeling, and coding all at the same time, those courses are AMAZING, and I would love to see the Gamedev.tv team create something similar, Rick and Grant in a course like the one you described would be amazing.

I’ll take this opportunity for my yearly reminder; @Rick_Davidson, if you don’t want to create a game design course (just FYI, there are barely any on the web, there’s a HUGE market there), at least consider making a course like the one described here, based on the nature of the genre it could include a lot of Game Design lectures.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I just found out about that course while perusing the forums. The link of course, did not work. Game designing and maybe even a little solo/ small team project management technique section would be cool to see too.

Thank you for sharing your course idea! A comprehensive course on creating digital card games in Unity, covering UI, scripting, and various mechanics sounds intriguing. Your suggestions provide a solid foundation for a valuable learning experience

1 Like

Learning through Udemy courses is such a great way to get in-depth knowledge compared to those scattered YouTube tutorials, right?
Your ideas for content are spot on! Creating a card-based game in Unity, like MTG or Frosthaven, sounds awesome. I’d be super excited to see a course covering all those aspects you mentioned.
If you’re into card games, I recently got into playing euchre online, and it’s been a blast. Learning how to make your own digital card game could take your gaming experience to a whole new level.

Privacy & Terms