Cook Failed (Critical error)

Hi.
I’m trying to build a build, but I keep getting this error:
LogWindows: Error: === Critical error: ===
LogWindows: Error:
LogWindows: Error: Fatal error!
LogWindows: Error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffb8014fd52 UnrealEditor-UnrealEd.dll!FPackageBuildDependencyTracker::StaticOnObjectHandleRead() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\Cooker\PackageBuildDependencyTracker.cpp:100]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffb800c8a06 UnrealEditor-UnrealEd.dll!UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<void (__cdecl*)(TArrayView<UObject const * const,int>),void __cdecl(TArrayView<UObject const * const,int>)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:480]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd4a36a UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!UE::CoreUObject::Private::OnHandleReadInternal() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\ObjectHandleTracking.cpp:202]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbef9b28df UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!UE::CoreUObject::Private::ResolveObjectHandle() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\ObjectHandle.h:223]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd5f6ba UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!FLinkerPlaceholderObjectImpl::ResolvePlaceholderValues() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerPlaceholderBase.cpp:86]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd5ec74 UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!FLinkerPlaceholderBase::ResolvePlaceholderPropertyValues() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerPlaceholderBase.cpp:597]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd5dc37 UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!FLinkerPlaceholderBase::ResolveAllPlaceholderReferences() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerPlaceholderBase.cpp:517]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd5d64f UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!TLinkerImportPlaceholder::ResolveAllPlaceholderReferences() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerPlaceholderBase.inl:63]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd311fe UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!ULinkerPlaceholderClass::BeginDestroy() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerPlaceholderClass.cpp:34]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd33eae UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!UObject::ConditionalBeginDestroy() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\Obj.cpp:1175]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefc83f3e UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!UnhashUnreachableObjects() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\GarbageCollection.cpp:4837]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefc20f98 UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!IncrementalPurgeGarbage() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\GarbageCollection.cpp:3955]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefd6d58a UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!StaticExit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\Obj.cpp:5131]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffbefc01f37 UnrealEditor-CoreUObject.dll!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:777]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb705e4 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!TMulticastDelegate<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Broadcast() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl.inl:956]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb6fc92 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!FEngineLoop::AppPreExit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:6757]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb7bca8 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!FEngineLoop::Exit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5076]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb7d31b UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:202]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb7d37a UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:118]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb80854 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:258]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb96984 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:298]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff79cb98eb6 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffc27627344 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction
LogWindows: Error: end: stack for UAT
Took 585,97s to run UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe, ExitCode=3

Full log: Dropbox

How do I understand what the problem is?

Try closing the Unreal editor, remove the binaries and Intermediate folders and launch the project. Once you’ve done that, try the build again.

Live coding sometimes messes up the builds and this normally corrects the issue. it may not but it’s the first thing to try.

This sometimes helps and the build comes together. And sometimes it doesn’t.
I would still like to know what exactly is the error.

That I cannot tell you. At a guess there’s a bit of code in the build process that is trying to use a pointer that is uninitialised. It’s been around since live coding was made the default so is definitely related. Other than that, I have as much information as you.

Project exclusively on blueprints and have been agonizing over it for 2 weeks now.

The Blueprint is C++ underneath so that doesn’t stop issues with pointers

And how do you find a similar problem?
The project is based on the ESRPG asset.

That I can’t tell you. I’ve never heard of that asset and so I’m guessing it is something you got from the marketplace. If so, I’d suggest contacting the maker of the asset and see if they are aware of anything.

So, to be clear, anything in unreal that is a blueprint node will have underlying C++ since the Blueprint is converted to C++ and is compiled. You can actually double click on most blueprint nodes and get to the C++ if you download the debug symbols for the engine which is nifty.

Sorry I can’t be of more help with this.

Okay.
I attached the log just with the debugging symbols.

Sorry, I just realised you’re new. Are you a student of GameDev.tv? This site is specifically for supporting the courses provided by GameDev.tv and we can’t support anything outside of that.

No)

Might I suggest you try unrealsource.com which is a Web site which links to a discord for all things unreal. They are incredibly helpful there.

Thanks.

Privacy & Terms