Constructor and Begin Play - the order in which they happen

Hi all!

I’m here because I stumbled upon an issue in lecture number 189 for the Unreal Engine C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games course. The title of that lecture is “189. Constructor and Begin Play Timing”.

The lesson states that the order in which things happen in Unreal is as follows: One C++ Constructor > Corresponding BP Constructors > Repeat / One C++ Begin Play > Corresponding BP Begin Play > Repeat.

However, when I log all of those steps in Unreal it shows me that things happens slightly different. First the Constructor in C++, then Constructor in BP, then Begin Play in Blueprint, then Begin Play in C++.

A

What are your thoughts on this?

Best,

Brais

I suspect you have the log after Super::BeginPlay which is the thing that ends up calling the BP’s BeginPlay

Hi Dan!

Thanks for your quick response, that was indeed the case! So is Super::BeginPlay in our code just to call the BPs Begin Play method, or does it do anything else as well apart from that?

Haven’t looked into it so I’m not sure.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms