Constructive crit

I came here to support Grant. He is my favorite teacher for a lot of reasons but #1 is - he caters to his audience.

The gamedev fellow just adds noise - not helpful questions (“what does a dragons claw look like?”).

I’d suggest a better format would be to have the ‘student’ try to develop what Grant has done - then bail him out when he gets stuck.

Grant could use some of this guy’s confidence - he could use some of Grant’s humility.

Hopefully you will see this as constructive.

3 Likes

Welcome to this site.

It is a new style they are both experimenting with in courses. More conversational.

It would be very hard to have a student be there asking questions. There may be bits they do understand already and not ask what a different student might.

Rick is filling the role, he acts stupid very well! :rofl:

Your reaction will be of interest particularly as this is an experiment in a different presentation.

1 Like

@Lucy_Becker

1 Like

I disagree, just finished the video and I found that
having more than one person talking mades my brain pay better attention,
A few of the questions were ones I was wondering about,
and sometimes the questions prompted a slowdown where there was a difficult concept

I will say it was a bit clunky at times, but I’m sure with practice Grant will say “good question, was just about to get to that” faster, rather than it feeling like it threw him off his flow.

3 Likes

The second guy is redundant. You can really notice, that he makes Grant feel insecure.

2 Likes

Thanks @Achoobert and @ElokoMs for your feedback.

And welcome to this site.
Take some time to look around and take part.

1 Like

Absolutely enjoyed the two of them. I feel with the additional commentary I got so much more out of this course. Only suggestion, just more basic questions, observations, etc to be chatted about. Great stuff, great course.

I agree. Grant keeps getting interrupted and it’s very distracting.

1 Like

Guess I have watches virtually all of Grant’s Youtube videos and he has taught me a lot. This is the first course I have bought and have to say I totally agree with the original poster apart from the student bit. Grant is a very good teacher and has a great flowing style. This course just makes it fail to happen. Very disappointed.

1 Like

Can you explain why? What did you miss?

If you look at Lesson 1 for example there are parts where Grant carries on whilst the other guy talks. In his Youtube videos Grant never does anything without saying what he is doing and how. There is also a lot of ‘distraction’ talk with the other guy referring to the dragon wings when Grant is still working on the legs, jumping ahead is not a good idea. The other guy seems a nice enough guy and I am not blaming him but IMHO he needs to either be more aware to make constructive comments more or better still Grant needs to just do what he does so well. Teach.

1 Like

Yes, I understand. You’re not the only one complaining about this. There’s a discussion going on about this. Some find it refreshing, others like you, who know Grant’s work, find it distracting.
It’s a known issue at GameDev, not sure what they will do with this.

But, still try to follow the course, if you need more explanation (about sculpting or others), do ask!

Privacy & Terms