Confusion on VS downloading?

so, i am already downloading the 2019 vs (i had 2016 and 2017) and the size is 4.3 gigs. now when i am going to install the newest version of unity (actually i get this for all versions as option when installing any version of unity engine) under ‘dev tools’ it lists vs 2019 with a size of between 1.3 and 1.4 gigs (depending on engine version).

the question is… are they the SAME and i DON’T need to check the box under ‘dev tools’ or is it truly something different (like a vs ‘bridge’ or something) and I DO need to check it?

Hi @ravencroftgraphics,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

VS 2017 works well with Unity, so you do not have to download VS 2019 if you don’t want to.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if the VS 2019 versions are the same. It might be that the VS 2019 you are downloading contains more packages. However, that should not matter. Select VS as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools), and test it.

Oh, and don’t forget to install the Unity development tools.

See also:

Can you download unity on chromebook because it seems that I can’t

Hi @Mr.Derpys,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t know chromebook. Unity is available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac and Linux. If your chromebook does not run with one of these, you cannot install Unity.

as a note to anyone else who may be wondering, YES you DO need to click on the vs 2019 in the dev tools EVEN IF you already have it. it is THE BRIDGE that ties the two programs together. I found this out the hard way so maybe make a note for future students in regards to that in that section?

This isn’t necessary if you already have the IDE installed. In Unity, go to Edit=>Preferences=>External Tools and select the editor you want, Unity will take care of the rest. If you don’t do that, then there will be issues when using that editor.

Thank you for this information, @ravencroftgraphics. :slight_smile:

What exactly do you mean by “dev tools”? Actually, as Michael stated, selecting VS as the external script editor in Unity should connect Unity with VS. Is this what you meant by “dev tools”?

i did have it and it was selected in preferences as well but it never ‘linked’ to vs when opening the script so i deleted it and then reinstalled the unity engine with the vs community 2019 checked in the dev tools and then it did work. i DID have to do some troubleshooting in vs itself to get the actual script writing screen to open for it, it was not cut and dry in 2019 like the version in the video. i had to do 3 extra steps but trial and error to get that window to populate.

This topic was automatically closed after 17 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms