Confusing introduction of the cartridge.h file at 6:35

This is really confusing here (6:35 of video) because it’s the first time cartridge.h is mentioned in the entire video training with no previous explanation that it exists and why it exists. (maybe at the beginning of the training would be a good idea to introduce) Suggest maybe talking about all the various files in this program and their purpose, even if you don’t get into too many details at the beginning but at least explain their basic purpose. It’s important to realize new students not only haven’t been told what header files are so far or what their purpose is but now new header files are being introduced with no background or understanding. Just an idea/tip to make this portion of the training more easier to understand and maybe reduce student frustration with introduction of files that they had no idea existed in the first place or why they existed.

9 Likes

I completely agree with you, Personally I dont know if cartridge.h and cartridge.cpp files are built in components or assets of UE4 or not, also, I don’t even know if in the future I can define the FString::Printf to my other classes or not,so this is a huge gap! I also struggled finding the Cartridge file in the solution as well because Michael only talks about VS code and none of those shortcuts works the same in VS community, however finally I saw a console folder and that’s it.
I have seen the original videos Bulls&Cows, BuildingScape and BattleTank and the file structures was explained so good by Sam and Ben. Michael is so cool but please explain these files :slight_smile:

6 Likes

As someone who has some background in C, I was able to figure out that the Cartridge.h/cpp and Terminal.h/cpp were not apart of Unreal and such, but never guessed that PrintLine was something that was made by the instructors until that was shown off. Really hope they can do something to fix this as more users come to the course

3 Likes

I agree guys. Really got thrown for a loop with that oblique reference to a new header file. Also…and this might be dumb…what does the terminology “cartridge” mean?

2 Likes

cartridge probably refers to something like a printer or so

1 Like

I assumed it came from “video game cartridge”.

Privacy & Terms