Confused about Visual Studio vs Visual Studio Code

Hello,

Im confused about which program Im supposed to be using, in section 1 we are only told to download and install Visual Studio Code but for the coding of the Bull and Cow Game the instructor is using the regular Visual Studios IDE…

Was I supposed to download and install that too?

I noticed that we are told to do so in section 2, but we are also supposed to ignore that section since it’s going to be archived and skip right to section 3, which doesn’t make sense since there is no instruction to download and setup Visual Studios IDE in-between sections 1 and 3…

So going forward is the Bull and Cow Game going to be built inside Visual Studio Code instead or should I still download the Visual Studio IDE and use that?

I just started the course as well so I’m not real familiar yet. I believe the current Section 1 is the only new section and has you install Visual Studio Code in preparation for sections to be updated in the future. The current Section 2 is the old introduction and setup instructions, which I would guess has you install Visual Studio IDE. Section 3, Bulls and Cow Game, is probably based on the current Section 2 (old intro and setup).

It is a bit hard to follow though for newbies like myself. The new Intro and Setup has you install Unreal 4.21 even though the course overview says it’s updated for 4.22. Not sure how much of a difference that will make; I installed both for now.

My plan is to try and use Unreal 4.22 and Visual Studio Code even with the old content and see if I can figure it out. If that fails I’ll redo the Intro and Setup with the old course and re-learn the new sections as they come out. Never hurts to know more.

I think he’s working on updating Section 3+ but it will probably take a while if he has to re-edit every video.

Good luck.

1 Like

You can use either of them, I believe the course is being redone in visual studio code because it can be used cross platform. I am personally using Visual Studio because I am familiar with it but either program will work. (You just might need to adapt depending on your choice.) For less experienced people I would recommend Visual Studio Code as it is much simpler than Visual Studio; But it might be useful to start learning Visual Studio now as you will never outgrow it.

1 Like

There is one part where they encourage us to use Unreal version 4.19, its in lecture #19:

“Because of various bugs, we recommend that you currently skip Unreal 4.20, 4.21 and 4.22** . Until Unreal 4.23 is released, please download the 4.19 version instead. This will ensure that you have a much smoother experience with the course.”

I ran into trouble with the Debug part of Bulls and Cows section in Visual Studio Code so I switched to Visual Studio 2019 and so far so good. If you want to give it a shot you can search for Visual Studio Installer on Windows since this is what we used to install the tools. Go to the ‘Available’ tab and Install Visual Studio Community 2019. For the Workload find Game development with C++ under the Mobile and Gaming section. This is covered in Section 2, Lesson 18 currently.

1 Like

you definitely want to get visual studio, not just visual studio code

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms