Concerns and Questions Regarding Extreme Tunnel Vision Effect in VR

I’ve never come across such an effect in any project before, and it seems to actually increase motion sickness for me. Why would you choose to implement this method? It’s hard to understand the rationale behind intensifying the tunnel vision effect to the point where peripheral vision is almost entirely blocked, leaving only the forward view. This approach, rather than easing discomfort, could limit the immersive experience and possibly enhance disorientation for some users, including myself. It raises questions about the necessity of forcing users’ focus in such a restrictive manner and which games have adopted such a pronounced effect. It’s crucial to consider individual differences in VR experiences and provide options that accommodate a wider range of user sensitivities.

Not everyone experiences motion sickness in the same way. I know people who have played games like skyrim vr which relies on the sticks on the controllers to move rather than a teleporting mechanism, also Borderlands 2 VR. Both are brilliant but I cannot play without feeling so ill after about 20 minutes.

Saying that, games like elite dangerous use the appearance of a cockpit and this prevents sickness by giving the appearance of the ship moving while you are stationary inside.

Each person is different and the blinker effect is like a halfway between the two and is effective for the majority of people.

All techniques are a little intrusive except perhaps cockpits for vehicles. And so it is a matter of striking the right balance to get things working well for everyone. You may, for example, offer a toggle for blinkers. You might even choose something else. The main thing here is playtesting with many people to ensure you have something that you have created that will be suitable for everyone.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your detailed response! It’s really cool to hear about how different games like Skyrim VR and Borderlands 2 VR handle motion sickness, and how something like the cockpit view in Elite Dangerous can make such a big difference. I totally get your point about everyone reacting differently to VR and how the blinker effect can be a good middle ground for many.

Offering a toggle for blinkers is a great idea, and it’s super important to keep testing with lots of people to find what works best. Really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences—it’s given me a lot to think about for my own project. Thanks again!

1 Like

My philosophy for the VR games I’ve done is to make sure a vignette is available, but I don’t force the player to use it. I felt the one in this VR course was too much, personally. And it didn’t work on a native Quest build when I did the class. But as beegeedee said, everyone is different. I don’t get motion sick. My wife cannot handle smooth locomotion and has to use teleport. So I always ensure my games support different options like that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms