Clothing Question

Just finished the belt and wanted to get feedback as this is my first time modeling clothing. I also had a clothing related question: I will be making an army uniform and street clothes for my character and wondered if the same plane method used in making the belt can be used for pants/shirts, also for the rest of the holds around the belt, could those be implemented by texture instead of having to model in holes around the belt? Sorry for the winded explanation.

2 Likes

Of course, there are many ways to do clothing.
First, you need to think about how your character will be used!
Do you need the body skin?
Because the body itself can be texture with clothing fabrics.
Only accessories need to be modeled like the belt.
If your need the body skin and an extra layer of clothing mesh, it is a very difficult exercise!
Especially when using armature to pose the figure.

You can use the Solidify modifier to add an extra clothing layer.
Set thickness and make offset positive (outside the existing mesh).
And select “Only rim”, which doesn’t create backside faces (clothing inner mesh).

You do this on a copy of your original body. After applying you have a clothing mesh layer.
Which can be used to make clothing.

But clothing will block your original body mesh. Which can’t be seen, or partly.
Then you can merge them or find another solution.

It getting tricky here!
So if you are doing the Orc challenge, then it is best to stick to the course, it’s difficult enough without clothing.

4 Likes

FedPete is correct. Depending on the end use things can be done differently.

Yes you could fake the holes in a belt with textures. Or model them. Choices choices!

2 Likes

Thank you both for the feedback. I knew going into it that I would run into a lot of problems and boy have I ever. My plan was to use this assignment as a chance to create the main character for a game I’m working on. I think I will try to finish out the character just because I have sunk so much time and effort into it, I was taking another Udemy character modeling class before I lost access to Zbrush so I might be able to post in their for a bit of feedback so that I’m not making to many posts here. I can also post to the facebook group as well. I do plan on doing the Orc as well, I like to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things! Again thank you both for the feedback sorry for the winded response.

1 Like

@FedPete @NP5 I just wanted to thank you both again for the feedback and show off the pants I modeled!

3 Likes

This leads to the question, do we ever see his legs without the trouser?
then make it one object, easier to rig.

1 Like

Working well, just need to pull out the end and various parts of the legs unless they are meant to be body hugging Lycra.

My goal is to have street clothes and an army uniform for certain cutscenes within the game. The jeans can be ripped when the player gets cut or bitten by a creature but other than that I agree it would be best to rig it as one object since the player wont see the outfit actually change. @NP5 Im going for chinos jeans from the 1950s still need to edit the shape a bit to get there as it almost looks like hes wearing leggings right now :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms