Clean delete projects in Unity?

After completing the Git Smart course using Unity, I’d like to first of all delete all the projects that I downloaded (there are several!) from your GitHub. In unreal’s “launcher” interface, there is a helpful option to go to one’s library and delete the projects shown in your list. Unity’s “hub” interface has a similar list but it doesn’t look like you can delete projects there; it says it only removes their shortcuts from that list.

Am I safe to just trash the project folders by going to my disk directly then? I may choose to leave the Unity editor (or may not - have not decided) but I’m not really planning on working on it yet and I don’t want to have all these projects taking up space. Also want to delete the repos and their bookmarks in Sourcetree afterwards.

Unity projects are contained within their folder; so to delete one, just remove the folder it is in.

If that folder is also where the .git (sub) folder resides, that will also remove the git repository you pulled down from GitHub too. If you don’t want to get rid of the repo just yet, delete the rest except for that.

It doesn’t leave any other clutter around, really.

Unity itself is a little different - if you installed the Unity hub, you can manage your installation files from there and get it all uninstalled neatly, but you may still have a ‘cache’ of downloaded packages hogging your machine and user’s local appdata folders.

Because I don’t even like that cache hogging my C “system” drive and don’t get a choice for where to put it, I created a junction for it - otherwise it can grow until it eats the drive (annoyingly).

So if after uninstalling all editions of Unity you are looking to ensure that’s all been cleaned up and scrapped too, go to the command prompt and “cd %localappdata%\unity” and see what’s left behind. Here’s what you might normally find there (including my symlinked cache folder):

Ahh, great. Thank you! That’s exactly what I was thinking of. I may still keep the editor, in case I fool around with it down the line, but very useful to know about the uninstall issues.

u need to remove folders manually. removing from HUB will only delete HUB link to it.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms