CL/Compiling (still) not working

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been following the feedback from my previous post, as well as have been sifting through the other discussion boards in other lessons. I found that others have a similar problem, but for whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my machine going properly LOL

I am on Windows 10. I will also include screenshots of what’s been going on.

I open Command Prompt and type “Code” to then open VS Code

VS Code is now open (and c_cpp_properties.json is open from checking location on Compiler Path but is deleted in next screenshot)

I am opening “triplex.cpp” in Terminal

When loaded, I type “cl triplex.cpp” to compile and as you can see, I get the following error.
I then type just simply “cl” and get the same error.
When I type “where cl” I get the following error.
So. Where is it? Let’s go see.

It’s gotta be in here somewhere, right? Maybe?

Under “IntelliSense Configuration”, I click on “c_cpp_properties.json” to see what I can find.

This is what I find in “c_cpp_properties.json”

Ok, I also read to check out the Environment Variables. So I went to check it out.

Going to check out this PATH first…

This is what I have in this Path.

Ok, now let’s check out THIS PATH…

This is what I have in this Path.

I have followed along on Install videos, and have even uninstalled and reinstalled and coming back to the same issue. I know I must be missing something.

It needs to be the developer command prompt. You should see that banner when you open it and typing “cl” should give you that message on how to use it.

1 Like

Thank you so much Dan. That fixed that issue.

When I typed “triplex” after “cl triplex.cpp”, it didn’t do anything, which I think is normal? Only reason I’m unsure is because last time when I was having these issues, I would simply type “triplex” and press Enter and then VS Studio 2022 would pop up and open it. But it’s not doing that this time. But I did see that it formed a triplex.obj as well as triplex.exe, so I think all is good?
Should it be opening VS Studio after I type triplex?

Yes that’s normal. The program does nothing, the program exits as soon as it starts.

That would happen if you typed “triplex.cpp” as typing a filename just opens it in the default application for that file extension. It’s the same as double clicking a file in File Explorer.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help Dan.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms