Chinese chess pawn

made my first prototype for a pawn top, though i’m not particularly happy with it. I wanted to do something far more in depth but i don’t yet have the sculpting skills that I imagine is necessary to do a more realistic rendition of a person or face.

So I’ve tried to do a compromise in making a relatively low poly ancient Chinese foot soldier with a top knot, fused with the style/shape of a traditional pawn piece. will likely do something similar for the other pieces except maybe the knight and rook.

Idk what do you all think and do you have any suggestions as to how I could improve the design? also so far the polygon count for this model is around 5k, i could reasonably drop it down by about another 1k without losing to much detail though i think this is fine for now

There are four symbols on the base, one set depicts the unit type (in this case pawn) both in the traditional script used for the equivalent unit in Xiangqi and the classic chess symbol on the opposite face. The second set depicts the faction name in the traditional script (in this case Shu Han) and the name in English on the opposite face. I’ve done this for each piece for each of the three factions giving a total of 18 different chess piece bases, though so far i’ve only made the top for this one pawn.

7 Likes

This is incredible! Are you making a whole chess set like this?

3 Likes

yeah, i’ve got the bases ready to go for every piece all following the same convention, except being slightly bigger for the other pieces and then slightly bigger again for the king pieces. just need to decide on how i want the tops of the other pieces to look. I know that for the Rook i want to model a chinese tower fort, the others will look vaguely similar though, except maybe the Knight, not sure what to do for that one yet.

2 Likes

I think the design looks great. Keep it up!

3 Likes

Amazing looking pawn piece. I like the design and the details very much. Great job.
And don’t worry about not having the necessary skills. You can come back and add more details to the model as you progress in the course.

2 Likes

Nice pawn and with colours it will bring out the hair knot and the armour scales effect you have done.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms