Chinese chess knight - I went a bit overboard again >_>

ended up spending the whole day tweaking this design and probably put in far more detail than was warranted, but oh well, I’m pretty happy with the final design. may need to make some more tweaks at some point as I doubt my printer will be accurate enough to capture all the detail, but for now it will do.

What do you all think? I was struggling at first how to make the knight more in theme with the rest of my set, so tried to model some armoured barding and a decorative headpiece.

6 Likes

Nice looking knight. I like the crown on the head. Great job.
Is it just me or does the head looks like a hybrid of these two without the horns :thinking:?
013280f7cc62253800d80a3f3cbfb5e7
imgraptor

3 Likes

lol it does a bit :sweat_smile:

I was originally going off this reference image trying to make the padded armour plates with a trailing hair headpiece but couldn’t get it to look right, then I noticed that the head armour I was making started looking kinda like a dragon’s head with teeth and so I kinda leaned into that a bit more.

after I gave up on making a headpiece like in the image I tried to change it into a feather sort of thing like on the back of the horse but again it sort of morphed into this bejewelled crown thing, but I was happy enough with it.

3 Likes

Good idea with the armour. Looking great you can never go to overboard! :grin:

3 Likes

I agree with @NP5, I don’t think I’ve seen a chess knight with armour before on this site. That’s a good idea! I think those eye sockets might look better a bit further back on the head though.

3 Likes

Mmm maybe I take that back. The first picture made me think that it made the muzzle look a bit too short. But on your last image it looks kind of in the right place. So don’t worry about it! :rofl:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms