Chinese chess bishop

Didn’t end up reusing much of the original pawn top for this one as the shape I wanted was different enough, but also simple enough, to warrant making it from scratch, though the base piece was reused. For this one I tried to give a more distinguished look for the body of the bishop and tried to model the tip of the bishop to look similar to Han Chinese chancellor / military advisor headwear, similar to how the traditional bishop’s top is suppose to look like a mitre hat.

I think it is similar enough to be recognisable as a bishop and the additional symbol on the base helps provide clarity if not, what do you all think?

4 Likes

I like your version of the bishop. The shape looks like a bishop. But I wouldn’t recognize the top part as a hat. The 汉字 also looks very nice, but I can’t read it, what does it stand for?

2 Likes

the hat was supposed to be a sort of mixture of Hanfu headwear similar to these reference images i used.

tumblr_inline_p5cqgiwYeu1sug7iq_540

and the symbol shown in the picture is the symbol used at the time for the Shu Han state during the Three kingdoms period, as seen in the picture below. on the other side there is also the symbol for the equivilant chinese chess piece (which actually is supposed to be an elephant but oh well).

Shu Han

2 Likes

Interesting concept. Ohh I see what you were going for now. Maybe put a bevel on those sharp edges. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the chess set :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice looking bishop piece. I love the chess piece base design. Looks amazing. Awesome job.
You can extrude some of the faces you want as the back of the hat.

Then extrude the top of the new faces to make the hat.

And then move the middle face down using the proportional edit to gave it a curvy look.Then adjust the rest as you prefer.

You can use this method to make the hat more like the reference image if you want.

2 Likes

hmm that’s an interesting technique, I couldn’t seem to get the proportional editing to work like you showed, i’m not really sure how that tool is correctly used yet, but i’ll certainly keep it in mind for future use.

For now I’ve rounded the edges of the hat a bit and think that will do for now.
image_2022-07-18_115254731

2 Likes

Looks cool up close. Nice work. I like it!.
Turn on proportional editing in Edit mode — scale,rotate or move faces, edges or vertices.
You can use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust the radius of the circle of influence.

2 Likes

Great fine details with the symbols.

I think the hat will help more people identify the bishop.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip, will give that a go at some point, just added some more details using the Boolean modifier as I felt that I should use it for something given that the piece doesn’t have the normal bishop notch in it.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms