Chessboard planning

So I went for exact measurements, hopefully I’m not shooting myself in the foot for doing this … Sizes are based on:

The website additionally mentions a board of 51cm (which follows the rules as found in research and as given in the lecture). Working with this might give some annoying numbers, but I’ll see what gives (limiting to whole or at most half cm’s seems a bit too quantized).

Furthermore, contrary to the lecture, I have opted for 10cm Blender units (instead of 1cm). For the entire board, this feels better PLUS I believe the individual pieces are still nicely editable at this scale, with heights of half to 1 BU. Finally, I am wondering about scaling in the following sense:

Should all your modeling work be done at the same scale? Or should each piece of the scene be modeled at its own scale? In the latter case, I could have 10cm BUs for the entire scene, while using 1cm BU for modeling each chess piece in detail …

If anyone cares to give his/her opinion on this, I would be very grateful!

Finally, my mockup hence looks like this:

I used separate objects for each piece (instead of working in edit mode), so I can take each mockup piece and use it when modeling the actual piece, using it for scaling reference.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms