Chess scene with all pieces

Hi everyone! Here is my scene with all the pieces added. The most difficult part for me was definately the knight, and the king. I find that merging a new geometry into my mesh in edit mode (like the kings’ cross and ball on top, or the knight’s eyes) was tricky and I’m not super satisfied with my process to do that.

I either inset the face on the base mesh, deleted the inset face then merge edge loops with the cut sphere/cross or used the Intersect(knife/bool) tool to achieve it. But in either cases, it felt like i was not super in control of what i was doing.

It was a lot of fun to make though and I really enjoyed it :)! Here goes!

4 Likes

Nice set, you should be proud.

Good looking low poly chess set.
I might make the white board squares more white, there is a lot that overall is the same colour. Board edge, white squares, white pieces.

Thanks for the comment. I agree and was a bit thorn by it. I was trying to replicate what a wooden chess set would be like and most of those I saw (and the one I own) are very “woody”. I tried to play with paling the white squares, but I didn’t like the effect and preferred it like that, or completely white somehow…

1 Like

You are at the beginning of learning Blender. And there is a lot to learn.
Also on how to create textures like wood and how to solve problems for that type of Blender feature.

Follow the course and redo an old project if you have more understanding of working with Blender.

Have fun, stay healthy.

Privacy & Terms