Chess Pieces

The little heart button on here is simply not sufficient for the big love I need to send :slight_smile:

The colours are exactly what I had in my minds wye when mentioning, love the textures, well done Dan, what a fab magical unicorn! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ā€¦even the inside is beautiful, yesā€¦ I went there :smiley:

1 Like

that is possibly the nicest thing anyone has said about a model I have created, thank you Rob.

knowing that you would look inside I should have put something in there for you, will have to keep that in mind for further alterations.

awww, well itā€™s very deserved, your chess set is looking fab and this piece is awesome too - funny how that came from just the knight on the chess setā€¦ will have to see if I can coerce you into creating other things too! :smiley:

Looking on the inside has become a bit of a habit I must confess, I donā€™t always do it. It started with one of Samā€™s models he posted on here when the forum first open (student Sam not GameDev.tv Sam) - it was an ogre from memory and I could in its mouth and its ears, so I kept moving in with the Sketchfab player until I ended up inside its headā€¦ it was interesting to see how the ear canals had been done and so on.

With your unicorn I hadnā€™t expected to see the textures on the inside, so that was kinda cool too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also from looking on the inside if you position the camera just right you can get another unicorn peeking over a wall.

Well I always like a challenge so I would happily accept future inspiration on models.

1 Like

Lolā€¦ So much fun.

Oooh, well in that caseā€¦ Heheā€¦ :wink:

having a unicorn/majestic theme chess set would seem the next obvious step. The forces of dark and light perhaps. Could be fun to create a dark / chaos version (think Warhammer) of the unicorn for the other side.

Of course you may just want to move on but it would be interesting to see what the other pieces would look like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohā€¦Noā€¦ā€¦ what have you done to me. I have spent most of the morning pondering this now.

so the opposite of a unicorn has got to be dragon right?

1 Like

hehe, I was thinking twisted/cahos unicorn, in the same sense, there were ā€œ40K Space Marinesā€ and ā€œ40K Chaos Spacemarinesā€ I guess in my head (pics below), the same core model but with twisted gnarly bits to indicate it had been turned and was on the other sideā€¦

ā€¦but this is really cool, even better, love the little hands/claws! Will it fit on the chess board with the wings? Will you be texturing this one too? Daemonic red eyes perhaps?

Nice work again Dan, really making me want to open up Blender again and continue with what Iā€™d started!

(images Ā©Game Worksshop Limited)

ah I see, I thought you were thinking like opposites of each other, those pictures could be good for the evil side for the bishop I could see this one with the staff opposing a wizard. just not sure my skills are up to those standards yet.

I think I do want to see this model coloured would really make it pop.

you should get back into it, quite therapeutic :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, gotcha, sorry I should have probably explained more of what I meant, although this is obviously your project not mine! heheā€¦ I guess I was thinking that the playing pieces would effectively be the same for both sides, but with subtle differences which reflected the two opposing sides, good/evil etc, much like a standard chess set where the two sides differentiate only based on the colour of the pieces, often black/white etc. Perhaps taking the good aspects of the model and distorting them to create the evil, so maybe the unicorns horn could be two horns and twists, like a goats perhaps. Evil red eyes instead of black, shades of grey/black for the bright fluffy colours etc etc.

Yeah a dude with a staff would be cool for a the bishop. Wasnā€™t suggesting anything as intricate as the above, merely the concept of the same base model but with then the chaos aspect on the baddie ones - wasnā€™t sure if youā€™d ever played 40K.

Yeah, I should, Iā€™ve thought about it a few times recently, I had started to make some scenary pieces for a game I was toying with (the bulk head on my Sketchfab account), but I was (as usual) trying to be too perfect and got far too caught up in irradicating ngons which made adding the rungs of the ladder and the bolt heads a real pain. Iā€™d hoped to make that model fairly modular as the outside piece is the same for 6 varieties, so I figured I could re-use and then just make the internal part. I did pop it into Unity and it worked really well, I was rather chuffed with myself, despite is invariably beinn a very basic concept/model. Prior to that Iā€™d done the Lego man, that was without a tutorial, although I had a bit of a read up for ā€œarmsā€. The snowman was from a separate short Blender course, first thing I made - I messed up the origin so my animated version moves a bit funny in Unity, from memory it has an arm sticking out of its hat! (chaos snowman!). I used to find my hand would ache sooo much after a Blender session!

yeah I am trying to think along the lines of opposites for the model after you came up with the idea (even though I did misinterpret it) the goat sounds cool as well makes me think of the goat tribe from diablo I love that design feeling, need to work on my skills to get to that level that would be my ideal aim.

I only played it when I was a young teenager I used to play with a friend, but never quite got into it my self although I did enjoy the painting aspect of it (for the models).

I have seen these models and often wondered what they were for or just the idea behind them. I do like the bulkhead its a very clean model, and I love your Lego man. I donā€™t get the hand ache but I do get it in my shoulder, but recently I have been trying a stylus for a more natural movement while 3d modelling but I am still experimenting with this work flow, although its perfect for painting uv maps for models.

he is looking quite evil I think :hear_no_evil:

looks a bit better in sketchfab though at the minute I like that feel it gives, the model above was updated.

Same here, I suspect we may be of similar ages(eras!), used to be a lot of fun, I carried on into my very early 20ā€™s, when I bought my flat I boarded out the loft and created a 8ā€™x4ā€™ fold down board for those epic battles. Tried a few times since with regards to the painting, I used to really enjoy that, but theyā€™ve made it all so ridiculously expensive now, its not a hobby I could afford - or indeed have room for. Necromunda was a much smaller scale game they did, only needed a small coffee table for that one, so I found the various bits on eBay and have enough to play - just no one to play withā€¦ lolā€¦

Thanks and thanks. Both deliberately not super high poly, but equally not perhaps low-poly either, just me experimenting before knowing anything really. I am definitely feeling the Blender pull since seeing your work and chatting with you :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got a pen/tablet I could try but I have found when using it for sketchy/whiteboard stuff I tend to run out of space - e.g. it only works within the confines of the tablet, where-as a mouse I could stretch out over a 6ā€™ table and it would still work. Thereā€™s also the button configuration and its quite sensitive so you can actually just hover above the tablet and it works, maybe I should give it a go in Blenderā€¦ need to have another go, I canā€™t remember any of the keys! lol.

Texture dragon is looking cool, I would agree he looks better in Sketchfab above rather than the skill image, I guess thatā€™s the lighting? He looks more shades of dark grey at the top but very black in the image. Is that a bit of dark red I see down his mane on the back too? He(or she) seems to fit the board rather nicely too which is a bonus!

Very much looking forward to seeing your next model! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m. It sure about our ages it would seem that it would be at least close, I am 33 (never sounds right for me lol).

I donā€™t think that warhammer was ever cheap for me anyway, I couldnā€™t remember the last time I saw a games workshop around a town, they used to be around everywhere.

I would love to see what you start creating (and then I can introduce the creativity bug into your designs :rofl:.

Well I havenā€™t used it but blender 2.8 seems to be more touch friendly from what I have read and seen in demos, so I am hoping that I can use it more when that is released (donā€™t fancy using the beta yet).

The dragon fits the board now as after you pointed it out the wings would have been to big for the individual square so I clipped his wings if you will :smile: yeah his mane is dark red for flair, itā€™s got to be my favourite part of modelling I love the unwrapping and paint part.

I am also looking forward to your future 3D modelling!

hmm, ok so I had been playing with Warhammer for a wee while longer than you at that point thenā€¦ lolā€¦ no wonder my hands ache after a Blender session, Iā€™m old!!! :older_man:

I donā€™t think that warhammer was ever cheap for me anyway, I couldnā€™t remember the last time I saw a games workshop around a town, they used to be around everywhere.

We actually have a couple in Bristol, I guess as popularity declined they just kept their busier stores going. I can remember when the posts of paint were Ā£1.25 each, and they were bigger, more like poster paint shaped bottles tooā€¦

I would love to see what you start creating (and then I can introduce the creativity bug into your designs :rofl:

I will add it to my next sprints tasks, to relight the Blender fire :slight_smile:

donā€™t fancy using the beta yet

Same here, I think Iā€™d probably stick with 2.79 for the time being too.

the wings would have been to big for the individual square so I clipped his wings if you will

awwww, poor evil dragon! :smiley:

1 Like

an update as to what the chess set looks like at the moment I am now left with the queen to finish but I have kind of run out of ideas without making models look the same as previous models.

1 Like

Loving that evil King! :slight_smile:

This is looking really cool Dan, well doneā€¦

Regarding the queen, what about taking some inspiration from something like the Wizard of Oz, that had a Witch of the East / Witch of the West - not suggesting a witch necessarily, but youā€™ll get some inspiration for good vs evil.

Perhaps the dark / evil queen could appear older, extenuated features, bigger build, darker colours (obvisously)ā€¦ something like this (but older perhaps?);

Then for the light / good queen, perhaps something more youthful, more dainty, Iā€™m thinking perhaps more like Elsa from Frozen, small tiara rather than whopping great crown, wears her power more lightly etc;

Not the best, image, and the clothes are perhaps too dark for the light side, although the blue could be nice.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, feel free to ignore! :slight_smile:

Well itā€™s funny as I started making a witch, just wish I could be better at facial features quicker :blush: I know there are no short cuts but I feel like I am getting better.

Yeah I might go with that direction, yeah the evil king I was quite happy with was toying with the rest of the skeleton to make up the whole set of bones for the model.

1 Like

I really like the bones for that King, I was just thinking about mini versions, which could potentially be swapped for the pawns, not suggesting for a minute you need to, but I was wondering what an entire side of skeletal figures might look like - my mind wondered off down the Sinbad movies road :slight_smile: Perhaps for another day :wink:

Iā€™m somewhat behind with my efforts, had planned to get back into it at the start of February but for a variety of reasons that hasnā€™t happenedā€¦ I will though :slight_smile:

Yeah I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour in blender.

That would be a good idea I like the spider but the skeletons would be more fitting. (I remember that scene of the film)

1 Like

Not sure how easy it would be to do, but I wonder whether you could even use the same core model, and then just add/remove little aspects of each for each separate piece.

Iā€™m sure you are looking forward to finishing this section so I should probably really reign my ideas in a bit! Sorry! :smiley:

Ref myself, I will get the bulk head I was working on finished first I think, there are six different designs and the plan was to make a core model and then use that to create all six, e.g. I only need to create the centre parts for all the others. After that I may return to the Lego minifig and animate it, might be quite fun to have that little guy walking around in Unity :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms