Chess piece -Rook- top (crown) - I'm stuck

Did anybody manage to do the top of the Rook, I’m struggling with that since hours and I cannot figure it out the way.

I’m following the Mike example with low poly (8 faces) piece.

I’ve tried with subdivide

and get a decent result after to many clicks on the mouses and hours and I got something like this

But when I go with the Subdivision surface modifier everything goes wrong.

I believe that must be an easy way to do the top.

I’ll appreciate any help guys.

Thanks

It looks like a lot of geometry there and the screenshots might not be showing the issues properly.
If you can upload the file i can take a look.

Hi Marc, thanks for your reply.

I’ve already solved it, just wanted to try to be more accurate using the image reference, so the rook has 6 (windows? or holes) in a 8 face polygon, so was pretty uneven as you can see in the pictures, so finally I went for the 4 & 4 , so was easier in that way, maybe in a future and more study of Blender allows me to do it in that way.
Here is the post with my final render of the Chess set.

Thanks again and I really appreciate your help.

Cheers!

Pablo

2 Likes

Always a pleasure. Now we have the new forum set up its easier for us to find your questions so here or the Udemy Q&A is good to reach me if you have any issues.

Thanks for updating me and great job, Nice job on the texturing considering we havent come to uv mapping yet :slight_smile:

About the texture, let’s say that I have some luck, because still don’t know anything about UV mapping…

Its coming :slight_smile:
In the new 2.8 content we will have to cover texturing in this section simply because there is no blender render any more so this section is taking a little longer to update :slight_smile:
We cover UV maps in the game asset section but i do suggest doing some other small tutorials on you tube that contain unwrapping so you get the idea.

Blender Guru’s Anvil is a particularly good one for learning :slight_smile:

Any problems you know where to reach us :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms