Chess Piece Arrangement

4 Likes

Nice job with the textures! This is something I constantly have a hard time with. Well done!

1 Like

I totally get it, textures are complicated! This link isn’t exactly relevant to the chess set, but if you want some practice with procedurally generated textures, this kid is AMAZING. Check it out: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsGl9GczcgBs6TtApKKK-L_0Nm6fovNPk

2 Likes

Thank you, very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, as that’s a long list, and I can’t think of anything he’s forgotten to do a tutorial for. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve been going through his videos practicing to become a master shader.
One major thing I learned in this exploration is you can’t just put a bunch of procedural textures into one blend file. On my computer just 2 or 3 complicated shader textures can totally freeze the program. So there’s a concept called “Baking” I just found out about that converts it into image textures on unwrapped UV’s so that you can export to game engines (or just not crash blender).

1 Like

That’s a really nice pearl shader.
If you’re trying to become a master of procedural texturing, I’d recommend you check out Erindale. He goes into a lot more detail about how nodes work than Ryan King Art.

I think that could be partly due to the fact that Ryan, doesn’t seem to think too much about performance (e.g., he sets the detail level on noise textures to the max, uses multiple bump nodes (when one would do), etc.).
Another thing that could be causing slowdowns is that, Eevee is slower with complex node trees than Cycles (at least that has been my experience). Hopefully that will be fixed in Eevee-Next.

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely add Erindale to my blender studies!

Yea! I’ll switch from Cycles to Eevee at the end of following one of Ryan’s and blender has frozen as long as a minute because of it.

First few seconds of Erindale’s first video, I can already tell I will like it. I’ll take a break from Ryan and go through that playlist today.

Can’t wait for Grant to finish 3.2 here, his material so far has been excellent

1 Like

Privacy & Terms