Chess Board Texture Plus Some Procedural Wood

I will probably make some more changes to it yet, I think I can do a bit more with the siding maybe, although I tend to prefer to keep things realistic, and I seen many chess boards with similar looks on google. Anyway the wood siding was done using the provided wood textures pack but the wood on the board was done procedurally (Just texture coordinate, mapping, noise texture, colour ramp and a bump node) I may add the procedural wood to my end render also, I just wanted to follow the lecture to learn textures.

5 Likes

I love it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Something to bear in mind as you say you want to keep things realistic is wood grain direction and probable construction of real world objects.
It is most unlikely a chess board would be from one big plank, with all the grain going the same way. More probable would be the grain running along each edge and mitred or otherwise joined at the corners. The sides would have the grain following the same directions as the top, etc.

2 Likes

And how would I go about fixing that? Just play around with the mapping node?

Looking at some pictures though, the grain on the board seems to be going in the same direction. The grain on the actual board all seems to be going the same direction in the below pictures.

By Marking the seams and UV mapping the board, then lining up the UV islands with the texture grain. Not sure if that has been covered by this stage in the course yet.

No it is not! Unless you mean only the squares?

They all show clearly the grain running the length of the sides. The last one properly mitred at the corners, the others just joined over the ends.

No UV mapping hasn’t been covered yet. I have changed the actual wood texture I was using on the siding now, so I think overall it looks better. In terms of the grain all being in the same direction on the actual board, I found multiple examples on google where that was the case, so I think in very much varies

1 Like

Yeah I guess that there was some confusion I was talking about the squares, I will take another look at the siding, although I have changed to a different one now. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms