Cheat-Keys... Not sure, if it's too early, but

Hey there,
When I saw this lecture about cheat keys (C and L), it triggered me a bit, to mention “Debug” and “Release” builds.
I don’t want to sound like superman, please don’t get me wrong, I just share my thoughts and try to add some constructive information.
I know, this course is super basic (at the moment) in terms of C#, but maybe it would’ve been a good idea, to answer a question, some users might have in mind, when they work through this lecture:

"Yeah, ok, cheat keys..., but what if my game is finished? Do I have to find all the places, where I placed cheats and backdoors? how can I make sure, that my game on steam does NOT react on these cheat codes?"

I think, it would’ve been ok to mention #if DEBUG at least for a moment, and telling that “we DO have options to exclude part of our code, when we finally release a game, for now, take this as an information, that this code will only be compiled while you develop the game, but not in release mode. We’ll cover builds a bit later, for now take it as it is” … something like that, because I think, the cheat function should look like:

void Update()
		{
			ProcessThrust();
			ProcessRotation();
#if DEBUG
			ProcessCheats();
#endif
		}

#if DEBUG
		private void ProcessCheats()
		{
			if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.L))
				handler.ChangeLevel(handler.PlayWinAnim, "LoadNextLevel");
			if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.C))
				handler.ToggleCollisions();
		}
#endif

kind regards,
Mike

Hi Grisgram,

Adding #if DEBUG is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms