Character Speed Influenced By Camera Pitch

I’m taking the Unreal 5 Stealth Combat: Make Stealth Games in UE5 Blueprint course, and I’m not sure if I made a mistake or if there’s a mistake in the lecture.
I carefully followed the instructions, and after connecting the camera pitch to the mouse movement in this video, I noticed that the character’s maximum forward-speed seems to be influenced by the pitch of the camera.

The instructor never raises the camera very high when demoing the movement, so it’s hard to tell if he has the same issue.
For me, if I bring the camera all the way overhead, the character will completely stop moving forward. The lower the camera is (until it’s straight behind the character), the faster the character can move in the forward direction.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

The course just directly uses the control forward vector, basically the view rotation of your camera, to get the “forward” direction. As you pitch the camera, less of the vector is actually pointing towards the direction you want to apply movement in, which affects the end result of the Add Movement Input node. It’s honestly quite disappointing to see in a paid course.

The way I fixed it in my coursework was to split the rotator struct pins for Get Control Rotation and Get Forward Vector, only using the Yaw values to get the correct direction.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the community. This is actually a really nice solution. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know the instructor liked this and has applied a patch to the video with this solution. Thanks very much for sharing.

Privacy & Terms