Character mirror modifier and workflow

When creating a character, is it typical to keep it mirrored or is there a stage that works best to apply the mirror modifier before animating? I’d like to UV and texture my character but would like to know the most efficient work flow for this process and if/ when it’s necessary to do so.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s best to have some copies of the development on hand!

• You use the modifiers (mirror) as long as possible. If applied, then save before to a backup file.
  • Apply modifier, when you need to apply changes to the right or left. But look at alternatives too. Make changes with texture and or displacement tools. Attaching objects instead of incorporating in the model itself (the need to apply modifier).
  • Have multiple versions of your object. Example: two-legged person, the same as one leg, a pirate
  • UV-Unwrap is mostly needed when you use bitmaps. The alternative is the use of procedural textures.
  • If you keep the modifier on, then you need only draw the texture one half also. This keeps the occupied room on the uv-map small. This is important for game design.

There are many more things to do in the pipeline. But for a beginner just keep versions at hand. It’s a learning process and depends on many things.

3 Likes

Great! Thank you! I appreciate the feedback and such a quick response! I got my little “Peach” Demon rigged and weight painted so I’m just working on texturing it now before posing/ animating :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would say, go for it!

• Do you have a plan what to animate? Like, ears also …, mouth …
  • The animation divines also the need for more details mesh data on certain spots. Which occurs of the moment of animation and results in changing the model, and the need for your mirror modifier.

You can always split the model by half and add the mirror modifier again. It help if the have a good topology.

Have fun, show us you progress.

2 Likes

I wanted to use this model to dabble more into animation without using or borrowing a more complex model and adding the results to my portfolio if it’s successful. I don’t plan on this creature to have a mouth or to make many any expressions. I might see if i can make its cheeks jiggle when it walks around.

I was thinking of modeling a peach and having the character hold and drop it and when it tries to pick it up it accidentally kicks it away.

I was having difficulty with weight painting the legs to have them bend nicely so i changed the topology for a better knee bend and that worked however there is a bit more “jankiness” i need to clean up as there are some creases.

I know I have some unnecessary geometry in the face as well as the hands. Is this something that I should adjust?

Screenshot 2022-11-19 091635

2 Likes

Looks good to me.

Additional mesh can count on having longer render times.
But that’s more having millions instead of hundreds of vertices.
I see nice knee, and elbow mesh. Well done!

• maybe some additional hand paint correction on the weight paint. removing the cracks (rimples). Or a subdivision could help!?
2 Likes

Awesome, Thank you! I’ll fiddle around with the weight painting and subdivision levels a little more and give that a try. Thank you again for all of your advise!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms