Certified in Istanbul! Some tips about the exam

Hey people! I got certified in Istanbul a few hours ago! I got 1700 points, which means I got 85 questions correct out of 100. Here’s the whole story and an analysis of the exam I entered.

How I prepared:
I prepared only with this course. I’ve been using Unity for about two months now and I started preparing one month ago (when I found out there was actually going to be an exam in Istanbul). I look after my three-year-old twins during the day and work during the evening, so I had very limited time to study. I watched the videos at 1.25 speed, and even 1.5 speed at some modules. (If I meet Ben or Sam in real life they’ll be talking too slow for me :slight_smile: ) I skipped all the challenges (I don’t recommend it, I had time restrictions). I skipped the entire programming section because I was short on time and I had previous programming knowledge (Pro tip: DON’T SKIP IT. Programming section was my worst score in the exam). I just watched the raycast and quaternion sections since I didn’t know about those beforehand.

Two days before the exam, I reset my progress and did all the lecture quizzes all over again. One day before the exam, I did the mock exam and got 81 (pretty close to my certification score of 85). Then I reviewed my weak spots by watching the videos.

Basic information about the exam:

• Examiners walk arount to make sure nothing is open on your computer. Only the browser that has the exam is allowed. No other documentation, no Unity, not another browser window etc.
  • The time remaining is shown on the upper right corner of the screen.
  • You cannot see how many questions remain in the current module, or in the exam for that matter.
  • You cannot go back to previous questions.
  • You see your score for each module right after that module.
  • After the exam, it gives a breakdown of each module and your general score.
  • Scoring is pretty linear. Each question is 20 points. So 100 questions = 2000 points. My score was 1700, so 85 questions correct.
  • I finished the exam in 45 minutes. I could have easily finished in under 30 minutes but I spent some time on interesting questions to remember them. The thing is; the time is more than enough. So take your time.

The exam isn’t difficult, but there are some tricky questions sprinkled in. I believe Unity balances it so that anyone who has been using Unity for some time can manage to get 70 points without a problem. I think that’s a reasonable strategy, since there is competition in the market right now and certification is a good way to be the preferred engine. So they want (and need) certified developers. Anyone who studies specifically for the exam shouldn’t have a hard time scoring 70 and above. One important thing is that even if you are very experienced with Unity, you should brush up on the certification syllabus because the things that you do without thinking while using Unity might be lost on you when you actively try to remember how you do them. (In one question I tried to remember if there was a “Component” drop down menu in the menu bar :slight_smile: )

What I remember about the questions:

• File types. Know them, because they ask them. Whenever possible.
  • There were two words that dominated the physics module: Rigid Body and RayCast (ok, that makes three words but you get the idea).
  • Interesting fact: Unity certification exam uses C# terminology. I know methods are called functions in JavaScript, but the exam used “method” throughout. Be warned.
  • There was a question about hotkeys. Which one was Play and which one was Pause. I didn’t know that beforehand.
  • A question that baffled me was where the gameobject names were shown with color coding, because I don’t remember anywhere where gameobjects are color coded.
  • Time.deltaTime question was almost the exact question in the mock exam here :slight_smile:

All in all, I can say that this course covers the exam subjects greatly; also the quiz questions and the mock up exam here give a very well-rounded feel of what the exam questions will be like. I got an 81 in the mock up exam here, and 85 in the real exam. Pretty close. My thanks to @sampattuzzi and @ben again and again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome news about your score! That’s amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write this in-depth post for your fellow students.

I wanted to know more about these two points:

Where would it be best to mention this in the course?

Did you figure this out after the exam? What colours was it referring to?

Hey Sam, I’d be glad if I can contribute to the course in any way :slight_smile:

It was asked in the Editor Interface module. I went with my gut and selected Ctrl+P for Play and Ctrl+Shift+P for pause, and thankfully I was right. The other two match options were F and Ctrl+D, which were no-brainers :slight_smile:

Well I looked at Unity after the exam and I saw that some game objects are blue and some are black in the Hierarchy, with the prefabs being blue and non-prefabs being black. The question mentioned something about prefabs too so I guess Hierarchy is the right answer. Thankfully I vaguely remembered that and selected that option. The other option I remember was the Console, because honestly that was the only place I remember anything being color coded :slight_smile: This was also asked in the Editor Interface module, I’m not sure if I got it right because I have one wrong question in the module; it can be this one or another one…

Cool, the former sounds actionable but I don’t think I can act on the second.

Could you take a look at 2:34 in the video and questions 8 and 9 of the subsequent quiz. Would those better cover this element of the exam?

The video addition covers the topic perfectly. And congratulations on very smooth sound editing, I had a hard time finding out the transition :smiley: The quiz questions are also to the point. @sampattuzzi

1 Like

Privacy & Terms