Cells at Work -- Top Down Shooter

Theme:
Core concept and theme revolves around the core body defense mechanisms. More generally the idea that the player character is a white blood cell battling infectious deceases and invaders from inside the bloodstream, while being careful to protect red blood cells (and not accidently destroy them yourself).

For simplicities sake it would be the red blood cells => enemies (bacteria / viruses) => white blood cell. Red blood cells flow from top to bottom while enemies may come from the side or above. Red blood cells considered protected once they get past the white blood cell’s line of defense (so the bottom of the screen). So the scoring system probably ends up being a little different – on a protection basis (though leaving viruses alone might make them get stronger / multiply), with possible negative points for damaging the good cells. Enemy shooting probably less important as they only have to capture the red blood cells.

Core Mechanics
• Player Movement
• Friendly Movement
• Enemy Movement
• Enemy Waves
• Friendly Health
• Enemy Health
• Body Health (Game Over - Based on Friendly Health)
Secondary Mechanics
• Player Shooting (could maybe just make it so the player moving the white blood-cell over the enemy is a success)
• Score
Polish
• Visual Effects
• Sound Effects
• Menus
• Content Tuning (including different enemies and behaviors – like shooting)

Ends up pretty front-loaded, but I think it’s valid given this type of structure.

Honestly – I’ll probably just follow the course guide for this owe and then look at replacing the sprite assets – maybe modifying some of the concepts – as practice work once I’m complete.

3 Likes

Dude! I had a similar idea! I was actually thinking of making this (the idea I have) since some time ago, not as my main game but just one of the bunch I want to make as “test projects”. I’ll post the link to my entry so you can check it out.

Yours sounds fun!

Link to my post:

1 Like

Sounds cool. I took a break for a while to concentrate on writing, and I’m starting to get back into things a again, reviewing some coding books. I look forward to seeing what you make. Be cheering on you to take your ideas all the way.

Privacy & Terms