Can't wait to start part 2

Love the course so far!

One question, is there a Mind Map available out there to help beginners like me for coding c#?

The area I want to improve is the relationship between all the basic coding concepts in Unity.

For example, if I want to make a cube move in space using WASD. Where should I start from and where should I expend to?

Not sure if this make sense but if there is anything as such for Unity C# coding I’d love to get my eyes on it :slight_smile:

My learning style is Visual and Repetition.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I’m interested in a clear map/pathway too. If I find anything I’ll post it here and please be kind enough to share anything that comes your way too!~

Hi,

I don’t really think you’re going to find a Mind Map, or much else, that takes you through a route like that - not in a generic form. What you are more likely to find will be examples of specific things. So yes, transforming the position of a cube, that would be searchable. Controlling player movement using the keyboard, that would be searchable. The player in that context could obviously be the cube.

Unity do actually have their own tutorials which may help you with some of these topics, they are ordered in a suitable way for those new to Unity, and writing code, as they introduce more intermediate and advanced topics later on.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Updated Sat Sep 22 2018 23:02

Well who knew, turns out there is a Mind Map… lol… I haven’t personally spent any time looking at it, but if you want the link, here it is…

…I think it looks a bit of a mess personally, I’m not sure how much you could really learn from something like that, but always happy to be wrong, as I was when I said there probably wouldn’t be a Mind Map… lol… :smiley:

See also;

Unity - Tutorials : Unity Learn Tutorials
Unity - Tutorials : Unity Scripting Tutorials

1 Like

Thank you a ton for your reply, Rob~

I can see your point now in not favoring the idea of using mind maps in programming languages. They’re generally clunky and don’t illustrate much differently than written words in this case.
Regardless, thank you for your time and convenience!

You’re very welcome Omar.

I didn’t actually expect to find one, but this one, fairly near the top of the Google results illustrates I think fairly well that you don’t gain much value from it.

I’d recommend starting out small, finding a specific task you want to achieve and then in the process of creating your solution you will invariably start to retain relevant information from different sources, such as Microsoft C# reference and so on. You can, of course, use the object explorer within Visual Studio to see how the classes are structured and relate to each other.

Thanks a ton for your utter attention, Rob.

I’ve been learning more and more what you’re saying here. That by pursuing what I want to do in the shape of mini projects, I start to grasp more topics and thus the bigger picture.

On a side note,
I’m now at section 2 and I’m really enjoying the course so far!
Can’t thank you and Ben enough for your efforts. Here’s hope I’ll be able to indie dev my solo projects afterwards.

You are very welcome Omar.

That by pursuing what I want to do in the shape of mini projects, I start to grasp more topics and thus the bigger picture.

Absolutely. In addition, when you work through each of the sections with the games, see if you can push yourself to add one or two new features yourself. For example, maybe you add player lives, or a pause option or anything really. Through adding many smaller features that are outside of the core course material (for that section) you’ll push yourself and learn even more. :slight_smile:

Can’t thank you and Ben enough for your efforts

You’re very welcome, I can’t take credit for the courses themselves, this one is actually @ben and @Rick_Davidson (we do look a little alike though ;))

Haha, I actually thought you were Rick.
You look quite similar in profile pictures.
Guess all game devs are handsome.

1 Like

We get this quite a bit…

If it helps, @Rick_Davidson wears a blue shirt, and only ever a blue shirt, and I wear a white shirt, and only ever a white shirt - we made this arrangement a few years back to help avoid any confusion.

Joking aside, I was actually the prototype, I came first, but was found to have many bugs and faults. Rick, short for Rick 2.0, is the second generation. More charming, more adaptable, a better sense of humour and the voice has been greatly enhanced. He also smiles more, the smile in my photo above happened just the once, it was more a proof of concept.

:wink:

3 Likes

Too funny!

3 Likes

I had hoped you might like that :wink:

Privacy & Terms