Can't import new FBX models

Hello,

I get the following in the Output Log whenever/however I try and import the FBX files in Lecture 99:

LogFbx: Error: Call to FbxImporter::Initialize() failed.
LogFbx: Warning: Error returned: Unexpected file type
FBXImport: Warning: Can't detect import type. No mesh is found or animation track. 
LogSlate: Window 'Message' being destroyed
LogAssetTools: Warning: Failed to import 'D:/UnrealTutorials/3 Building Escape Game/_Resources/Lecture 99/SM_DoorFrame_New.fbx'. Failed to create asset '/Game/SM_DoorFrame_New'.
Please see Output Log for details.

I’ve tried removing the old SM_Door and SM_Door_Frame models entirely from my project (Force Delete), I also tried giving the new models new names (appended _New to them) but this error shows regardless.

Any help appreciated!

J

I would suggest close Unreal and then use File Explorer to delete imported models. Then reopen Unreal and import the new ones. If that fails also try re-downloading the new meshes.

That did it, Dan, thank you!

What was my mistake here? I thought that by deleting through the content browser, I would’ve removed all traces of the previous assets but when I looked in my project’s Content folder, there were still .uasset files there. Would like to avoid the same mistake in future.

Thanks,
Joe

In my experience it’s kind of flakey. I would delete in Unreal first so potential references to the asset are caught and then check it’s deleted on disk afterwards.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms