Cant Duplicate and then seperate duplicate

Low Polygon Landscape Course. Stuck for two days. When I use a knife to draw a window and then Shift+D to duplicate and the P -< selection the duplicate seems to stay linked to the surface if was duplicated. I cannot move, scale or rotate the duplicate without also doing the same to the item it was duplicated from. I am now bald with a big pile of hair on the floor from trying for hourd to be able to duplicate and then separate and move the duplicate? Any Help?

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

If I remember correctly, Shift+D is specifically for making the same change on the two objects. I think what you want/need is Alt+D, which will duplicate but NOT link them together. Alt+D, however, can only be done in Object mode.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

In edit mode, you can select vertices, faces, and edges and duplicate them. Using shift d en then immediately press ENTER. Because after duplication Blender expects you to move the duplicated object.

Then the duplicated selection can be a new object by pressing hot-key p > ’ selection’.

But, Blender has an option to merge vertices by a distance. By default, this is switched off. When switched on and duplicating on the same spot will merge the vertices, which will undo the duplication.

3 Likes

My guess in the dark is what FedPete mentions you might have auto merge verts on.

Select the verts to be duplicated, Shift D, click/enter.
Press P, enter.
Back to Object mode select separated new object to do whatever next you are intending.

Part 2.

Linked duplicates will alter all of them if you change any one of them IN EDIT MODE. In Object mode they can be rotated, scaled and moved only, not the mesh edited.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms