Can't Drag And Drop Into Scene

Hi, I have a really annoying problem.

When I try to drag and drop the background into the scene, my mouse just flickers between the circle with a line through it, and the regular mouse.

I can’t get it to work by doing anything. I’ve tried unchecking “Run as administrator”, but it wasn’t even checked in the first place. I’ve also tried making the explorer run with administrative permission, but that sadly didn’t work either.

Another note might be that the background and the other items don’t have the arrow on the right hand side of them like Rick does.

I am running Unity 2018.3 on Windows 7. Here is a screenshot of my scene if you want it…

Another question is what Rick did with the Next Level button. I don’t know if it has anything to do with this, but it might.

If you have gotten this far, thank you; any help would be appreciated.

I was able to get around it by right clicking, selecting show in folder, and dragging and dropping from there. Not a complete fix, but it is still a work around.

But, if you know how to fix the main issue, that would still be great!

HI Benjamin,

Try dragging the background image into the Hierarchy instead of the scene, assuming it allows you to add it there, then double-click on it to focus the Scene view on it.

Regarding the prefabs with the arrows, this is because you are using 2018.3, the course wasn’t created using that version, there has been a massive overhaul of how prefabs are edited in the new version.

I can’t really comment regarding your query about Rick and the button as I don’t understand the question.

If you would like to provide more detail I’ll try to help.

See also;

Hi @Rob,

I couldn’t drag it into the hierarchy because as soon as I start the dragging motion, my mouse starts to flicker between the circle with the line through it, and the regular mouse.

What I meant about the Next Level button was that at the end of the previous lecture it was there, and now it is not. It’s not a big deal. More detail would also help, as I am new to this.

Are you able to drag anything else into the scene? e.g. that Ball sprite in your screenshot, will that drag into the scene or the Hierarchy, or does it exhibit the same behaviour?

On the button front, from memory, I think Rick decides at one point that it is no longer needed and removes it. He may, and I’m struggling with the memory now, have disabled it, so its still in the Hierarchy, under the Canvas but it won’t appear in the scene. To do that, select the button in the Hierarchy, and then in the Inspector, untick the button at the top next to the GameObject’s name. You’ll see it disappear from the scene. Again, this is from memory and I may be wrong, if your not sure, just back the lecture up a bit and watch through it again.

All of the other PNG’s exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks for the Info about the button :slight_smile:

One more thing is that I deleted the Project with all of the scenes, sprites, etc. and added it in again and now it has an extra background and two block which I can just drop in the scene (they have the little arrows on them).

So it’s ok now?

It didn’t give me all of the sprites so no.

Hi Benjamin,

Could you perhaps zip up your project files and share them with me. I am trying to help but you don’t give much away in your responses so it’s hard to make any progress for you. I am happy to take a quick look at your project.

The forum will allow uploads of up to 10MB, if your project files (zipped) are larger than that you would need to use a service such as Google Drive or Dropbox, and then share the URL.

Here you go.
Block Breaker - Shortcut.zip (1.1 KB)

That’s a 1.1Kb zip file, I doubt there’s a Unity project in it. The file name suggests this might be a short-cut wrapped up in a zip file.

Updated Wed Dec 19 2018 19:21

Confirmed. You’ve sent me a short-cut to a directory on your computer. I need the actually project files zipped up.

Sorry, I had a little trouble zipping the file that is why I gave you the shortcut. Here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t4J6jShd-q4V87bDjho78G5D3CETBnx2

It’s ok… gradding the download now… :slight_smile:

Updated Wed Dec 19 2018 19:38

Nope. It is wanting me to request permission. Can you set it to public please.

Tell me if it works now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mn3NuXL4yU_UVssyTh2rN0bT5zUUaGG-

1 Like

Yep, looking good, am downloading now… will reply back in about 15 mins.

Updated Wed Dec 19 2018 20:24

Sorry for the slight delay responding.

Ok, I’ve opened your project in Unity 2018.3 and;

• created a new scene called “Test”, which I then opened
  • then I worked my way through your prefabs, which are currently in the root of the assets folder;

and dragged each one into the Hierarchy
    these appeared in the scene
  • I noted that these were not indicating as prefab instances within the Hierarchy, e.g. they were not blue or were missing the arrow to the right which enables them to be edited

Before I got much further I started getting errors from Unity about a problem with one of the packages that was installed. Whatever I clicked on threw the error and I couldn’t do anything else. Opening/closing the project resulted in the same issue.

I can only assume that this project is somewhat corrupt in places. Personally, as you are not that far into this section yet I would delete this project, create a new fresh project, and go back through the steps to import the assets. If you encounter the same issue again, let me know and I’ll create a project at this end for you with the assets imported and provide it for you to download.

Okay thanks for your time.

1 Like

Hi Benjamin,

My apologies, I’ve just taken another look at this and those weren’t prefabs in the root of your assets folder, those were just the sprites that had been brought in. This is why the did not indicate that they were prefab instances in the Hierarchy.

I have created a new empty project within Unity 2018.3 and run through the steps required as far as lecture 48 for you. The sprites are imported. If you open this project and then continue lecture 48 from 01:07 you should be fine.

BlockBreaker.zip (2.2 MB)

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms