Cannot use the Lesson tags to post a challenge

Good afternoon/evening.

Am I the only one who finds it hard to use the following tag?

cud_s04_number_wizard_ui_game_design

It allows you to assign it to a post, but once you save, it is removed from the post. Hope the admins fix this together with the broken Lesson links from Udemy.

Bless

Thank you, we’re aware and updating the Udemy links over the next couple of days.

Do you find being able to post against a lecture helpful, or so you think being able to post against the section would be enough for you?

1 Like

Since the section is too wide with several lectures, each sometimes having its own challenge requiring you to post something, I think posting against a lecture is a lot more in context to what you are posting. It makes it easier to group(by tag) related posts as per that lecture, as it has been currently.

However closely related to this, it is a bit confusion to which is the preferred way of posting an exercise/challenge.

• Is it better to as post as a REPLY to the instructor’s POST (Usually titled starting with About, for example this post.
  • Or post in as a separate new POST under that tag?

What would you recommend?

Hi Sowed,

At the moment I don’t believe there is a hard and fast rule… however, as someone who has invested quite a bit of time in the forum over the years I’ll give you my perspective.

In a few of the courses students are encouraged to post their work/screenshot of their scene etc, whilst sharing is very nice, and it is often very interesting to see lots of different styles/approaches to the same topic/subject/challenge, I personally find the forum gets quite cluttered with the individual posts.

There is a classic example in the Project Boost course where thousands of students are posting a screenshot of their fairly empty scene with a landing pad in it. It is great to have the feeling of accomplishment when learning something new, and it’s great to overcome any person barriers that may have prevented an individual from sharing, but in cases like this specifically I think having one topic for all of those landing pads would have been a better approach to having multiple topics.

The problem with having multiple topics which are all fairly similar is that people tend to get accustomed to seeing them, and then stop looking, so even if someone had literally spent hours on their scene, and made their landing pad look absolutely amazing, chances are no one will drop in and look at it, like the post or add a comment because they are so accustomed to seeing lots of very basic “cube in a scene” style posts.

On a similar vein, there “Welcome” / “Introduction” style topics are another which fall into the same category. There is perhaps a question as to whether an individual introduces themself to the area of the forum that supports the course they are taking, or, the forum/community as a whole (I’d opt for the latter), but to create thousands of individual topics which say “Hi, I’m Rob…” etc I think lends itself to the majority of them going unnoticed/responded to, which is a shame. To reduced clutter I often move these types of topics into the one main “Welcome to the community” topic, but it is quite time consuming.

I have raised this points with the team previously so, hopefully, going forward some of these duplicates could be reduced a little.

For the challenges, I tend to lean towards them being of a similar nature, if the challenge was to explain what you feel you know about delegates, it makes more sense, in my opinion, to share a topic on that with each student adding to it, and being able to read what others have written, over posting a separate topic which may go unread.

The problem here though is that often community members pop a question in those topics too, the downside of this is that then derails what was a common topic of discussion, e.g everyone talking about their understanding of delegates and could potentially include some rather random. Where there is an unrelated point of discussion, or a question to ask I think these may be better off in separate topics, you could always add a link to that question in your original reply if you felt it was relevant. This would enable the question to be answered and importantly marked as solved, thus aiding any future students who may have the same question.

The other aspect to consider here is that if you ask a question in a lengthy topic, chances are your question may go unnoticed and thus not get a response, where as a separate topic they are more likely to.

Hope the above helps a bit, as I say, not really any hard and fast rules, at the moment, with regards to whether to respond to the instructors post or post separately.

2 Likes

Hi @Rob,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It clears a lot of questions and concerns I had in my head. I agree with your view on clutter resulting from posting lots of similar content :thinking: So this is my take from it moving forward.

• For sharing content/answer to challenges from the lectures, it’s advisable to post as a reply to a common Topic posted by the instructor.
  • Asking questions or posting unrelated content to the discussion is preferred to be done as a separate post.

Hope I got your point right.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me and you’re more than welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for all your care and concerns.

Just to let you know I’ve tagged this lecture (it’s now allowed again), and fixed the link from Udemy.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms