Cannot Select Multiple Objects in Scene

I am on the Block Breaker section of the Unity 2D course and am trying to select multiple blocks in the scene using shift or ctrl (as clearly demonstrated in the video tutorial) However, whenever I click on a second block, Canvas is highlighted instead. I tried the suggestion in the following forum:

I created another layer by duplicating the Main Camera, locking it, and then moving the Canvas under that. It still selects the canvas, even though it is locked.

I upgraded from 2019.4.17f1 to 2020.2.1f1 hoping that this would fix the problem. However, it does not. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Jackie,

Unity is not intelligent. If game objects are overlapping, it selects one of them, and it might be the “wrong” one. That’s a known problem.

In Unity 2020, it is possible to lock the Canvas game object in the Hierarchy, so it is not selectable. Hover your mouse over the Canvas game object in the Hierarchy. There should be icons. If there aren’t any or if you don’t know what I mean, go to the top right corner in Unity, click on Layers, then disable the UI layer. It will become invisible. Don’t forget to make it visible again when you are done working on your blocks.

Did this help?

See also:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms