Cannot open include file: 'crtdbg.h'

Receiving the following error when executing “cl triplex.cpp”:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.25.28610\include\yvals.h(12): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘crtdbg.h’: No such file or directory

Following is my console:

I have the “Unreal Engine installer” selected as part of the “Game development with C++”. And when I select individual components it shows Windows Universal C Runtime is selected.

I did view another topic that had the same issue but could still not get mine to work.

Thanks

More information:
I also added the location of the crtdbg.h file to the LIB environment variable:

That is strange. Have you installed the Windows SDK outside of Visual Studio as well?

1 Like

No, I had not installed it outside of Visual Studio.

Went ahead and downloaded it outside of Visual Studio. When installing it states everything is up to date:

This did not help with the issue.

-thanks

I wasn’t recommending you do that. I’ve just heard that that has caused someone an issue before. Have you try reinstalling Visual Studio?

I actually reinstalled everything. Still having the same issue. Decided to try on another (home vs work) computer and everything worked.

It appears to be something with the pre-processor directive - when removing the #include , it compiles. Of course that’s without needing the iostream stuff.

I’ll probably just work on my home computer for now. Curiosity is driving me to figure this out so if I figure anything else out, I’ll add to this thread.

Thanks for your help.

It’s a transitive include. When you include iostream you’ll end up including that with Microsoft’s implementation. It should be installed by the Windows SDK so it’s a bit odd.

By default the path it should be in is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\{version_number}\ucrt

You could try installing a different Windows 10 SDK version in the installer?

Thanks this solved the problem

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms