Cannot build WebGL

That’s fantastic. React is an interesting framework, and the way of thinking can also help you with game development. At least, that was the case when I learnt React.

If the only problem is that you cannot build your games to WebGL, complete your projects, make a backup and import them into another version of Unity. As aforementioned, the problem might be caused by a bug. Problems can also occur in React, especially when a new version of React, or, worse, of a browser got released. And that’s where the difficulty starts in my opinion.

Anyway, I’m glad to read that you didn’t give up programming in general. Maybe you’ll give Unity and game development another chance at a later juncture. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement, Nina…the story is a little longer.

I started learning programming (and taking it seriously as a career choice) a couple of years ago. I bought an Udemy class for Android Studio and Java. I got about half-way through it,made a few apps, had some fun.

Then I got a couple Unity C# tutorials (‘the fox game’, a clicker game) and somewhere along there I stumbled into the C# with Mosh Hamedani series and also the GameDev series.

Mosh’s C# classes are great, but it was difficult for me to apply the concepts with such a limited understanding. I mean, in the past couple of weeks, I’ve looked at JavaScript, JSX, and Python3 with little to no difficulty, but two years ago was a different story and Mosh’s classes were too hard for me.

The GameDev series is great! I really like Rick, Ben, and Sam’s teaching styles. I’ve bought most of the GameDev stuff (most everything except the Unreal classes), and I really like the things that I learn in ‘How to get a job in the games industry’ classes and such.

I still have a lot of good ideas for games that I would like to make, and when time allows, I definitely want to get back into game development, either as a hobby or as a career.

I got hit with a bunch of problems around the same time that caused catastrophic data losses, reloading my computer several times, hard drive failures, something happened in my Steam account got messed up and my controlled got messed up again so I haven’t been able to play anything like Dead Cells for the past month or so. I just got my controller fixed yesterday after ANOTHER OS reload. I dorked my computer again trying to do something in Python3, but that’s another story…

It was just problem after problem for everything I was trying to get done with a video game or Unity or save files. Seriously, that was some Bad Moon stuff.

Where was I? Oh yeah, so the programming…I currently work as an electrician in a frozen pizza plant, which I am not ungrateful for, but I don’t like the work environment. The people are rude, I’m sick of constantly finding and fixing gross OSHA violations that other people ‘engineered’ into whatever the h— it was they were thinking to try to do…and many of the leads in this plant are extremely rude.

I’m sick of this line of work, so I made a commitment to myself to start learning to be a programmer, and THAT journey has been great! I’m really proud of myself for what I’ve been able to learn, even though I haven’t met all of my objects yet.

I live in a town < 50,000 people in Kansas, and we don’t have any real ‘programming’ jobs here. Everything here is industrial automation, so it’s all Allen Bradley PLC and ladder logic. I just don’t care for that stuff because I don’t want to mess with external hardware. I don’t want to mess with robotics because I’d rather animate a game object instead of needing a physical object to manipulate.

So this React Developer job is new here in town. There’s nothing like it. So I bought a couple of Udemy classes and started them over the weekend, and on Tuesday or so, I walked into the office and basically said something like, “I know I’m not the guy you want to hire now, but if you give me just five minutes, I’d like to tell you how I can be the guy you’ll want to hire by the end of summer…”

So that meeting went well. We’ve exchanged a few emails and I’ve been studying hard. He has some side projects to help me get started, and the in-person mentoring will help a lot!

The best part is that after I change careers and get settled into my programming career,I can get back into GameDev as a hobby and there will be no conflict of interest between my indie games and my application development employment.

That’s the kind of ‘perfect world’ I’m working towards this summer, and I don’t think I would have put the puzzle pieces together in this way if it haden’t been for many of the things I’ve learned in GameDev and especially Rick’s ‘Get a job in the games industry’ course…There’s a lot of powerful information in there!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing your story, Jay. I’m glad to hear that you found that React Developer job in your town, and I’m sure, once you gained some work experience and a portfolio, you’ll be able to find more jobs on the internet. I wish you good luck with your new career. Have a nice weekend! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Nina!

I won’t be gone long. Everything feels like grinding gears right now, but things are getting better and mellowing out.

I really do appreciate how you and many others have been so supportive! It means a lot and this is truly one of the best forums I’ve been involved with! So many cool people doing cool things!

I emailed that guy about the React job yesterday with an update on the classes I’m taking and he responded today, “Great job! Keep me posted, I can loan you a mac to get started when you’re ready, etc…”

It was good.

I do have a lot of responsibility at the pizza plant, and I’m not ungrateful for that, but that whole place is a mess and I really think it was build on an ‘ancient Native American burial ground’, so to speak. I can stay busy there until I finish my classes and exit gracefully when I’m ready.

I study my ‘core topics’ pretty hard during the week (I work 11 days, then 3 days off) and I take a break during the weekends. Now that JS and React are my core topics, I’ll likely start getting back into GameDev on the weekends.

This past weekend, I didn’t do much educational, but my cat did release a new album, so there is that, hahaha!

1 Like

Hey Jay,
thanks for sharing your story. I am new to this forum, but have been hanging around GameDev for a while. So i want to share my little story with you aswell:

I got burned out from my last job, mainly cause i could not finish my ideas and had a lot of stress which lead to the loss of my company and finally unemployment. It took me some years to finally figure out, that i always wanted to program no matter what.

Same as you i am living in a small town, there is nothing job related to gain here. Doing the courses from Unity and GameDev to hopefully get a portfolio or smth to show off feels like my only way out of here.
I am enjoying games my whole life, i grew up with it. Despite always hearing how bad it is to play and there is nothing to gain.

There are a lot of jobs i would stop when getting annoyed, but somehow i am always going back to my code, keep asking myself “what is the problem, how can i solve it, is there anything that i could change to pinpoint where it might come from”

I cant remember what i did with the WebGL, i just can say " it works , keep trying " there are a lot of librarys depending. Sometimes go down the rabbit whole, and check each library and dependency too.

But sometimes we bump into stuff so we can walk another way.
I am glad that you found some place, where they see your potential.
This is something i havent seen or found yet.

Keep learning and progressing, Good Fortune and Best Wishes!

DGR

1 Like

Thank you for also sharing. I was basically doing same as you before I found out about that new place.

Yeah,it’s been hard to wrap my head around all this, but I think you’re right about a few more things I can try. I’ll dig into it more later.

Thank you for the encouragement, and also thank you for sharing your struggles, too!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms