Cannot apply changes to texture type

As the title says. Seems like a weird editor bug: no matter what I change in the texture inspector, the “apply” button remains greyed out, and in fact changes are not applied. This happens both if I try to do it collectively, by selectiong the whole set of cursors, and one by one.
Removing and reimporting the package did not fix it. Duplicating the texture and deleting the original didn’t do it either.

Using Unity 2022.3.2f1

Found a workaround in case someone else is having the same issue, but indeed there seems to be something off with the inspector or at leat my installation of Unity. If I right click on each texture, select properties and change the values in the popup window, everything works fine. The main inspector window in the editor doesn’t.
It’s rather tedious because I have to do it manually per each item instead of selecting them together and applying the change colelctively, but at least it works.

I found the same issue in two versions of 2022.3. Some textures would not be changeable, and some would not. I downgraded to 2021 and everything is fine. I have seen several posts that suggest not using 2022.3 because of many bugs.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have two annoying recurring memory leaks warnings that I googled, and turns out they are caused by the job system (which this course isn’t using at all, by the way) and are caused by the editor itself. I’ll look into making a backup and downgrading too. Hopefully it won’t wreck the project.

Unity 2022.3.1 through 3.4 are, to quote some Unity insiders, a bit of a dumpster fire. I do have a working project in 2022.3.5, but even it has a few issues.
Ordinarily, I strongly recommend students use the LTS versions of Unity for the RPG course. In the case of 2022, I recommend (for now) sticking to the 2022.2.x path.

1 Like

2022.3* was marked as LTS when I installed it. It seems this year Quality Control was asleep.
I checked the new versions: 2022.3.6f1 is out and the list of known bugs is shorter than previous versions, but the first one of the list is both alarming and hilarious:

Asset Importers: OnImportAsset leaks 5GB of memory

Good start I guess.

Sometimes the known bug lists are scary than all those warnings at the end of a medication commercial…

Sadly, the 3.x channel is still all marked as LTS.

That’s actually by design…

20YY.1 == “We’re trying some stuff laying the groundwork for what will be a great 20YY”
20YY.2x == “It’s not really beta anymore, but there may be some kinks to work out”.
20YY.3x == "This is LTS, from here, we’ll maintain things as we get ready to introduce you to 20YY++

Privacy & Terms