Can we work on one Blender project from two operating systems?

Can a computer that boots both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 be configured to resume work on a Blender file in one OS that was created in a prior session of the other OS? (Example: create a Blender project in Windows 7. Then resume work on that Blender project in Ubuntu 16.04)

I took a guess as to how to make this work and configured the Files settings of both Blender installations like this, where my files hard drive (K: in Windows, /media/SLURP in Ubuntu) is independent of either OS. Do you think this will work?:

If the two systems access the same shared folder, and versions of blender, in both systems, they are the same should not have problems.
Problems can occur if some of the operating systems change the privileges of read / write files.

@Xurxo:

Cool! I think I will cautiously experiment with it then.

I haven’t have an issue sending files between Mac @ home and Win @ work using a microdrive or using Google drive. I haven’t tried it on a dual boot machine though since I haven’t have the cash or inclination to purchase Win. Xurxo is probably right though about there being able to have a shared space each can access to read write files.

I would be curious if different shortcuts/commands would effect the blender file. I haven’t had any issues between Mac/Win but do have to remember some of the shortcuts are different when working on different systems.

i guess no

Privacy & Terms